External Vs Internal Insulation

The diagram I referenced in the IAB cert is titled "Detail Section - Stepped Gable".
The main detail of a stepped gable is the flashing detail, this is the point of the diagram in my opinion.
The firestops are covered by the 2 previous figures titled "Vertical Fire Stop" and "Horizontal Fire Stop".
THe fact that a fire stop is shown as part of figure 11 is because it's a necessary above the stepped gable.
It is most definitely not the main point of figure 11 though.

The statement "Flashing and lower roof construction all by others" is self explanatory. External insulation suppliers
don't usually construct the roof. This includes flashing work. I don't believe an individual is building
in compliance with the certificate if they deviate from figure 11.

I've spoken to Weber, Greenspan and STO about their systems and all admitted that the stepped gable detail is an issue
and none could tell me how to resolve it.

If you are so sure that its possible to avoid this bridge then I again ask you to please describe how it's done because I need to know.

You claimed that external insulation can be done on semis because you saw a photo of it. My point was that just because
someone did it and took a photo of it doesn't mean that it is actually efffective. The attached house becomes
the weakness in the insulation envelope when this is done. If it's poorly insulated it will happily conduct away the heat.

Last edited: