External Insulation, Grant and Extension

mg zr dad

Hi

We are about to renovate and extend. Part of the works include externaly insulating the existing house, the extension will be insulated above the current regs. We want the grant!

Our architect believes we will not get the insulation grant as the extension means that the entire existing house will not 100% enveloped. SEI not prepared to give an answer untill the Insulators carries out the work and fills in the forms. Insulators say of course we will get the grant but it is no skin off their noses if we don't as we will have paid them the full amount.

Has anyone carried out a similar project and recieved the grant without dificulty (or not). It seems daft to think that a new extension is treated as rulling out elegibility to recieve the grant.

Insulators say of course we will get the grant but it is no skin off their noses if we don't as we will have paid them the full amount.
If they are so adament, then withhold the last part of the payment - and have it written in to the contract that they will discount the grant amount in the unlikely (i say unlikely as that's what they are suggesting to you) even that the grant is not forthcoming.

I'd rather have a definitive answer rather than **** off the insulator....to many other variables then are against the insulator, why would they even get involved in the job.

Perhaps you could call the SEI office and put the question to them describing what you intend and asking them would you qualify.

That sounds very odd - will they not just take a question "in principle"?

Perhaps your BER assessor would be able to help you based on experience.

Ber assessor has had the same issue with internal insulating job done on her own home hence my request for replys from people who have carried out similar works to my own for there actual personal experience in dealing with the SEI and whether they recieved the grant or not!

Back