External hard drives

penang

anyone seen any good deals on external hard drives lately ( 200gb or greater)

Thanks
p

Any of the aldi/llidl ones left? 250gb for around the 130 mark. Unbeatable. If youre not in a hurry wait for them to come around again, usually every 5-6 weeks in one of the shops.
failing that, search the usual online stores and you should get 250gb for under the 180 mark.

Not sure which brand the aldi ones are, but western digital is a solid manufactor and is reasonable at 140 plus delivery for 250Gb:
[broken link removed]

Go the 250 one here in Marx Computers

[broken link removed]

Not the best to look at but who cares

If you can wait go for the Aldi but they take a while to come around

Was going to get one in Komplett but had to wait ages for it to be in stock

[broken link removed] have a few as well. You may get better value than local stores online (e.g. eBay or one of the many online hardware shops).

thanks everyone...

mrs P has just bought this one - seems good enough value

[broken link removed]

The one already purchased looks like a good deal - c. €160 incl. P&P for a 300GB USB 2.0.

Iomega have great customer service if you think that is necessary. Not too bad on the price also...

You could wait for the Aldi one to come around again - I just got a 250Gb one for €150.

Unless you want to queue early in the morning - go to one of the shops other than Parnell St. If they're all sold out, they will also usually take your details and let you know when they're in again.

thanks everyone

ad in saturday's paper for a toshiba 320 Gb for €169 (pc world) - seems like a great deal.

anyway we bought the maxtor on ebay....

thanks everyone

ad in saturday's paper for a toshiba 320 Gb for €169 (pc world) - seems like a great deal.

anyway we bought the maxtor on ebay....

I just bought the same Maxtor drive. Thanks for the link. Also saw the Toshiba yesterday in Dixons but it only offers 8MB cache

Hi,

I have one of these for over a year and it's great value and no problems.
I haven't dropped it yet though :)

[broken link removed]

MAJJ

i was told today that aparently the external hard disks from Aldi are western digital which would be great.

SirOurs said:
i was told today that aparently the external hard disks from Aldi are western digital which would be great.

Just to add a different angle to this discussion, I was looking into external hard drives before. Some of them have an Ethernet interface, so you can plug them into your wireless router directly and then back up multiple PCs or laptops to a single network drive, or stream music from the external hard disc to a Squeezebox or the like.

Sounds like a good idea to me, but naturally costs a little bit more than the typical USB 2.0 hard disk drive.

FWIW - 250GB for €147.49 in Maplin until 16th May. Order code [broken link removed]. Only a 2MB cache though.

Back