external DVD writer - which one to buy?

seaflower

I was thinking of getting an external DVD writer, there are quite few on komplett to choose from, any tips on what is important to look for (features) or good brands?

Check the DVD Demystified FAQ for the latest status on DVD recordable formats and device support for same. Check the web for reviews of specific devices/makes/models. Pixmania also have some good deals on external DVD drives.

Thanks, ClubMan! But I admit, I am even more confused now, I just wanted something simple for occasional backup of data, didn't know there were so many different types

Seems will have to ask some of the IT guys at work...

I recently bought a in PC World for €80.

It came with Nero and lightscribe? or whatever it's called that engraves whatever you want onto the DVD.

If you want to burn a 2 hour movie from DVD files (.vob etc) it only takes around 10 seconds. To burn .avi, mpeg files etc to DVD it takes 3-5 minutes, depending on file size. Playback is excellent and I can't recommend it enough. It does exactly what it says on the tin!!

Ballyman,

do you know if they do an internal equivalent?

tia

M

Having researched this at length before buying, I can heartily recommend the LG GS-E10LB External DVD Writer with [broken link removed](a technology invented by HP, incidentally). It writes (and reads) ALL DVD formats - CDR, DVD+R(W), DVR-R(W) and even DVD-RAM which is useful if you have a Panasonic DVD recorder.

The Lightscribe feature is a useful addition for burning your own covers without the hassle of labels or the ink consumption of a Laser printer. (It won't look as good as label printing, but it won't run when wet. Anyway, I feel it's a handy feature, even if you only use it a few times, that only costs a few Euro more. Make sure you buy the new Lightscribe V1.2 media - they can be printed much faster than the original versions.)

It comes with Nero Express. I imagine you can upgrade to the full Nero at a discounted price.

Nero seems to be the most popular CD/DVD burning package.

You can get it for [broken link removed]. I bought mine for €60 on PixMania but I can't find it there right now. Both have delivery for about a tenner but you can buy some blank discs for the same delivery cost and you will still be quids up on an equivalent model from Peats or Dixons or wherever.

Internal versions (for desktops) are cheaper again - [broken link removed] or .

Bear in mind that Lightscribe only works with special Lightscribe media which may be a lot more expensive than regular recordable media and it is generally a slow process. If there's much of a premium for that feature then you might be better of skipping it and sticking to regular media and printed CD/DVD labels or just a CD marker!

as above, lightscribe nice if you got the time and inclination and money for more expensive media..

If you have the equipment, with the right ports, try an s-video cable to play the DVDs straight from the laptop on to the tv via a scart connector so you dont have to burn at all.

The premium (on the burner) is about a fiver.

The media (DVDs and CDs) is indeed more expensive than non-Lightscribe, but not orders of magnitude so. The DVDs are about a Euro and the CDs less.

I'm just saying that for me, the extra fiver on the burner has paid off. I don't always burn Lightscribe CDs and DVDs, but I do find it a useful feature for some projects.

as above, lightscribe nice if you got the time and inclination and money for more expensive media..

You're missing the point. If you spend a few Euros more on a Lightsribe DVD burner, you have the OPTION of using the media if you want to burn a label. Burn times range from 10 mins to 40 mins depending on the quality of the burn and the amount of print coverage on the disc.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convert everyone to using Lightscribe, I'm only saying that if you are buying a new DVD burner, it is worth considering buying a model with this feature. That's all.

If you have the equipment, with the right ports, try an s-video cable to play the DVDs straight from the laptop on to the tv via a scart connector so you dont have to burn at all.

Indeed.

But I'm sure there are many reasons why the OP is buying a DVD burner.

Thanks for the great replies! Only opened this thread now. Ordered a dvd writer during the week online, has Lightscribe and supports all formats, should be delivered in the next day or two, so hopefully it will be good!

Any tips on how could I back up the data on the laptop and the 3 PCs via the TV as well?

Ah, you are very cheeky!
[broken link removed] is the one I got, still waiting to be delivered, hopefully today.