Extensions - Planning advice please

BertieBowel

Hi there – I’m currently in the process of closing on a house purchase – hopefully close at end of August.
We want to make a number of additions to the house and I’m trying to figure out the best approach before applying for planning. I have drawings prepared for planning submission and builder available. I want to get the work done asap, as the plan is to live in my mother-in-law’s during the build !!
There are no previous extensions on the property. Works required:
  • Single storey extension to rear – c. 38 SqM
  • Utility room – taking c. 4 SqM of existing garage
  • Bedroom/En-suite above existing garage – c. 17 SqM
  • Attic conversion (for storage purposes). Will require new stairs and 2 x velux windows. Not sure of SqM yet.
I have a number of queries which I hope someone can help with:
  • As I have the builder lined up, could he commence work on the rear extension now without planning (all planning regs requirements will be adhered to, to ensure exemption)
  • If 1) above was a runner and we submitted a planning application for remaining work, how should we reference the rear extension as it would be work in progress.
  • For the remaining work, would we need to include the attic conversion in the planning submission or would it be exempt due to ‘habitable space’ calculations (2.4m head height for c. 50% of the floor space will not be achievable)
  • Development Contribution. The house is within SDCC and the Residential Dev Contribution is €90 per SqM above 40 SqM. If there is no requirement to include the attic space, my calculations are as follows – 38 sqM (Rear) + 4 sqM (Utility) + 17 sqM (bedroom) less exempt area 40 sqM = 19 sqM x €90 = €1710. Does this logic look right??

I intend on arranging a pre-planning conversation with SDCC but wanted to make sure I was along the right lines in advance.

Any advice welcome.
Bertie

I'm dizzy just looking at that!

I think you should talk to an Architect to deal specifically with your queries. You should not rely on anonymous posters on any online website.

mf

As I have the builder lined up, could he commence work on the rear extension now without planning (all planning regs requirements will be adhered to, to ensure exemption)

No, you cannot commence any works that require planning until planning is granted and then a minimum of 14 days after your LA has received the commencement notice.

If 1) above was a runner and we submitted a planning application for remaining work, how should we reference the rear extension as it would be work in progress.

Planning applications must include drawings of the existing structure, not how it might look at some point in the future. If your builder is suggesting this approach to fast track the process, I'd be very wary, and ensure I have a strong independent engineer lined up to assess and sign-off on all works.

Who is managing this build in terms or compliance and certifications and why are they not answering these questions for you?

As what Leo said.
When the Planner arrives onto site for their site assessment they will judge that the plans don't match what's on site and your application will be declared invalid so you are back to the start of the process.

Back