extensions costs - again! please...

TillyD

Hi,

I know there are plenty of posts on the cost of extensions but I’m started to get worried that I won’t have enough to cover my costs for an extension we’re planning to do.

I’ve tried the onlinetrademen site and got no replies so I’m hoping I’ll get some idea here.

The extension is to a small bungalow.

Front sitting will be extended by 18x5 ft with a pitched roof.

Adding a bedroom to the other end of the house 14x24ft. An internal wall (9ft) will have to be knocked for this and rebuilt. The bedroom will include a walk in wardrobe and an Ensuite.

We’re in the Louth area and there’s plenty of access around the house.

Has anyone any idea of what this will cost. I am waiting for plans to come back from our architect so I can’t get prices from anyone yet.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Tilly.

Getting something similar to my bungalow(cork). Must have called 25 differwent builders and only managed to get a quote from 4 of them(so much for the down turn in construction)
18x14 sunroom to back and 25x16 bedroom to side(with walk-in and ensuite). Getting prices at the moment 58, 65, 66 and 75K. Will probably go with the middle quotes as the 58 was a bit of a cowboy.

I`m unsure for the extent of the work you require to be carried out, but the above prices do sound expensive.

What ever price you get allow about 20% for the whole thing to go over budget .

We're getting much lower quotes now than we were last year for an extension and attic conversion. Might give another year or two to see if the building recession gets any worse and prices will be back to something that is not ripping you off out of house and home.

Its really is disgraceful what builders are chargeing for extensions now.

Hi

Can I ask if others have found the same as Minion, we are looking to get work done and am wondering if it would be better to hold on a little while

I`m unsure for the extent of the work you require to be carried out, but the above prices do sound expensive.

Good post... You don't know about the work but it is too expensive

The OP is adding about 38sqm. If you consider the going rate of €2300+ per sqm (in Dublin though), that's €88k!!
So i would say you are looking a pretty much as gramlab's quote.

Note: For the front sitting room...the rule of €x per sqm may not even apply (may be higher) because there is almost as much work in adding 5ft than to add 10ft, e.g. a main wall is in the way.

I had a meeting with an architect about the possibility of having a really small extension built (in Dublin). I only need space for an eight-seater table and chairs but wanted a high spec finish. He looked askance when I said my budget was K70 plus contingencies!! He told me that, for that price, I really could not expect to get any usable space.

Thanks guys!

Gramlab, If I thought I could get it done for 60k I'd be delighted.

Canerashy07, that's mad! surely you'll get some kind of extension for 70K. I'd look for another opinion. What size is your extension?

We've dicided to move house now so wont be getting the work done. And when we called to pull out the builders even offered us a 20% cut in the price if we went ahead (i still dont think that was enough). They thought we ad just found someone cheaper and were going ahead with someone else.

The work is drying out and there are many more builders who are not 100% busy on sites anymore. Builders were a rip-off over the years but now things are changing. They were just trading off the fact that they could always go somewhere else if you didnt bite at their overly inflated price.

When you get a quote get it itemised.
Materials and labour. Than take this list to a builders providers and make sure the materials add up. Bet they dont add up to what the builder said. Then you'll see exactly howe much labour you are paying.