Extension viability/advice/ideas needed

gooner

Hi. Trying to decide whether or not our best route is to extend and renovate our small 2 bed bungalow or demolish it and start again. Basically we'd like to give ourselves a comfortable 3 bedroom house without going into mad dept. We have asked a few architects and builders. Architects seem to air on the side of demolish and rebuild, builders extend and renovate. We've looked at it over and over and can't come to a conclusion ourselves. I can see pluses with both options. But I guess the big one on the extend and renovate side is what is possible with a small house like this. Now I am not looking for someone to design a renovation/extension for free, I am willing to pay for this. But I was just wondering if it was ok to upload/link a plan and of the existing bungalow and would there be any of you guys with a bit of design flair be willing to throw a few ideas back. Depending on the reply to this I can give more information of location and requirements. Mods I hope this is not in breach of any forum rules, if it is please delete. Thanks for reading.

Thanks Leo. Here is a link to the plans. The JPG shows the north/south orientation, the arrows indicate the views, the green shaded areas indicate flat roof extensions that were added. The long one to the front is a sun porch, but due to its shape it is used as a utility. They will need to go in any case. Thanks for looking and any suggestions and advice is most welcome.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yt5t85hnx6gyy9w/house.dwg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j99q987l43tcxkw/house.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3zvloafejprga6/house.pdf?dl=0

If I open a dropbox acccount to see those plans will my details be safe or available to anybody?

Gooner, to get an idea of what you'd like have you looked at existing houses, at open viewings for example. Would give you ideas, would help you to decide what you like and don't like, give you an idea of space. I find drawings for me are ok, but I always want to compare them to an actual real room to see if it makes sense. I've been in the recent past to houses with the following problems.

Wheelchair door acces for downstairs toilet but not possible to get to it as corridor too narrow

Very steep stairs - dangerous

Radiator in the wrong place

Box rooms too small

Not possible to put a wardrobe in room

Main bedroom with chimney breast in the middle of the wall where bed should go

Not possible to open wardrobe if bed is in it

Super tiny en suites

En suite that you couldn't sit on toilet as you'd not be able to close the door etc etc

If I open a dropbox acccount to see those plans will my details be safe or available to anybody?

Gooner, to get an idea of what you'd like have you looked at existing houses, at open viewings for example. Would give you ideas, would help you to decide what you like and don't like, give you an idea of space. I find drawings for me are ok, but I always want to compare them to an actual real room to see if it makes sense. I've been in the recent past to houses with the following problems.

Wheelchair door acces for downstairs toilet but not possible to get to it as corridor too narrow

Very steep stairs - dangerous

Radiator in the wrong place

Box rooms too small

Not possible to put a wardrobe in room

Main bedroom with chimney breast in the middle of the wall where bed should go

Not possible to open wardrobe if bed is in it

Super tiny en suites

En suite that you couldn't sit on toilet as you'd not be able to close the door etc etc

I don't think you need to log in to dropbox to download the files, so no one can see your details. I logged out and was still able to download them.

We'd like 3 decent sized bedrooms, good sized bathroom with walk in shower, open plan living/dining/kitchen, utility. Outside of that one en-suite would be nice,but not essential. But not sure if the small size of the existing house makes it feasible to extend onto it, or if it might be a better idea to demolish and start again given the small nature of the existing house.

the crucial issue here is the build standard of the existing house so what age is it and whats the construction details.

have u checked with planners, will they allow you demolish, u will also pay new build fees.

My advice, given what I have read here is put existing in a skip and design and build a new house to near passive house standard and alive and love comfortably and cheaply thereafter heating and comfort wise

the crucial issue here is the build standard of the existing house so what age is it and whats the construction details.

have u checked with planners, will they allow you demolish, u will also pay new build fees.

My advice, given what I have read here is put existing in a skip and design and build a new house to near passive house standard and alive and love comfortably and cheaply thereafter heating and comfort wise

Yeah I've had the planner look and they are open to a new house, but not an additional house, must replace the existing. Yeah fees would be part of it.

Back