Extension to Semi D Bungalow?

Dman

Hi Folks,
I'm currently looking to get a single storey 400 - 440 Sq Foot Ext added to the back my house, which is a sem d bungalow in Kildare.
Hoping to add 2 or 3 rooms to the house.

I've checked the planning site and do not need planning as it's less the 40 Sq m, will still have plenty of room at the back and side of the house and won't be higher than the house.
I was planning on getting an architect do up drawings, however I was told by a friend in the building trade, not to bother as a builder won't need one and it's a waste of money.
The drawings would costs @ €1,200.
I thought I needed them.

Has anyone done something similiar e.g. similiar size of ext to their house??
Did you bother getting drawings done up by an architect?
Has anyone got a feel for the cost of an 400 - 400 sqft single storey ext?
Any idea how long I could expect it to take?
Just hoping to get ball park figures...

Thanks very much for any information, as I'm green as the grass once it comes to building etc.

Do you know how to communicate the details of what you want and the quality that you want to a builder on your own, with no properly drawings.

If you do not have drawings,
how are you going to get a builder to tender for the job, and give an accurate price ?
How are you going to ensure that the builder builds what you want ?
How are you going to ensure that the builder builds an extension that complies with building regulations ?

A set of drawings with instructions to the builder becomes the spec of the job and it is clear to you and the builder what is expected.

Thanks for the advice.
Yeah I was thinking much the same in relation to getting plans. Worth the money in the long run.

Back