Extension - Planning/Architect

Sinto99

Hi All,

We have just gone sale agreed on our first house (yippee).

It is a semi-D and we intend to put a small extension on the back of the house (approx 5 sqM) to square off the back of the house and join the kitchen to the dining room.

I know that due to its size (under 12 sqm) it would be exempt from planning permission but the extension would be running along the boundary with the attached house so does that mean that we would need planning as its less that 2 meters from the boundary?

We have looked at the back of other houses on the same row and see that some of them have done an extension

If I ring the council (Fingal) will they be able to tell me or will they just say to ask an architect/engineer?

Also, who would be able to sign off on the extension so that there would be no issues if we ever wanted to sell. Would an architect be the best way to go?

Has anyone else done something similar?

its worth checking what the rules are before proceeding, especially if its a recently built estate (there may be stipulations in the planning permission)

a section 5 exemption will take care of the planning issues

and a building regulation complaince + structural certification is also worth getting for future sale.

a local architect or arch technician can advise on the best course of action

Thanks for the info, will prob ask advise from an Architect with this alrite.

What is a section 5 exemption tho?

Will the Arch be able to give the building reg complaince/structural cert?

House was built in 1989 so its not recently built

section 5exemption is given buy the council, take less time than full planning, but worth doing if you are thinking about future sale (check around the forum, I'm sure I've explained this in more detail before)

yes to building regs and bank needs and no your arch will employ/suggest an engineer to ensure structure if required (really only, if there is a substantial length/weight of supporting steel etc)

89.. id be thinking about its BER rating - insulation levels, checking for condensation/ ventilation, asking how old the windows are etc (these are all things your arch/ arch tech can inspect for you)

Thank you, will research the sec 5 exemption more and discuss with my architect (when i find one)

Hope to get this project done asap as we move in so trying to get my head around the processes and requirements so we know what we need to do.

The bottom line seems to be discuss with an architect and get thier advice

Thanks again

Back