Extension of Planning & wall plate level

K

kforce

Planning permission quickly running out for a single storey rural dwelling and need to apply for 'Extension of Effective Period of Planning Permission'.

The external wall will be up to roof level before planning runs out.

Was advised that getting the house to wall plate level would ensure planning was extended, so plan on having external (ICF) walls finished.

Can anyone advise on what exactly 'wall plate level' is, so as to keep the planners happy or recommend whether the roof joists need to be up or not?

Thanks.

as far as i know, the extension of effective period of planning permission needs to be applied for AND GRANTED before the expiry of the permission... it could take them 8 weeks to make the decision to grant (which they usually do anyway)... get your application in ASAP.. its just a 1 page form from what i remember...

wallplate level is basically the level where the walls finish and the roof starts...

The planning authority can extend the life of the planning permission where:
- substantial works have been carried out during the life time of the planning permission; and
- the planning authority is satisfied that the development will be completed in reasonable time.

Once these two demands have been met, the local authority must grant the extension, i.e. it is not discretionary.

Specific definition of either of the two conditions above is unclear (in typical building control fashion, but don't get me started on that), however for the first one, "substantial works" is generally accepted as being up to wall plate level. As I understand it that means the external walls are completed to a point at which the roof timbers (e.g. rafters or trusses) can be put into place, it is not necessary to have the roof timbers in place.

I am not sure of the mechanism or timeframe for applying for the extension, but I think that it is sufficient to have the application submitted within the lifetime of the planning permission. However, I suggest contacting your planning authority to check the procedure.

J2K

Thanks Syd & Jake.

I was on to the planners and the girl I was talking to mentioned having the house at 'near completion stage' to ensure I had some chance of getting the planning extension.

Just wanted to be sure that wall plate level would be sufficient, as there's no way I'd get planning again with the new 'locals only' restrictions.