Extension in two stages - Permissions

Cameo

Hi there
As I understand it, generally speaking, single storey extensions less than 40m squared which can't be seen from the front of the house do not need planning permission - this assumes there are no other extensions already.

I am in a situation where I want to do a two storey extension at the side of the house - where the garage currently is. I also want to add a sunroom to the house.

My question (got there eventually) is it OK to do sun room first and then apply for planning for bigger extension? i.e. will doing the sun room first create any difficulties with getting planning for the other extension later.

Thanks.
Cameo

I cant foresee any problems with building an exempted sun room first and then looking for planning to extend to the side. You will need plans so it would be advisable to discuss this with your architect/engineer/technician

As you are going for planning for the two storey extension to the side, i would apply for the sun room as well.
If you ever go to sell the house the buyers solicitor may question if it is exempt (can lead to unnecessary delays while you get exemption certificates). It shouldn't cost anything extra to have the sunroom included in the planning application.