Extension foundations not level

Home&away

Hi all - we’ve just started a build of a small, single-storey extension (4.25 x 4m) at the rear of our house, using a builder that came recommended by an engineer.

With the rain of the last week, so far only the foundations have been dug and poured. Concrete set fine but then there was more rain.

Problem is that when the foundations filled with rainwater, the water pooled at one end of the rear strip, meaning there’s a noticeable dip at one corner, possibly being more than 1 inch lower.

We’ve no experience with building but I would think having level foundations is a critical part of the build.

I plan to point this out to the builder, but I’d like a bit of advice on how fixed we should be on this. Is this something that can be corrected in the block-laying up to floor level? Any advice appreciated. :confused:

Would it just mean there is a curve on the land and that perhaps in this corner he has dug deep but that when it's built to level ground it will be ok. Sorry I can't draw you a diagram on this to show you what I mean.

Do you not have an architect to look after these issues for you. I know my architects measurements were all wrong and he wasn't cheap. It came to blows and his final words to me were, "well I work in foot and inches and not this centimetre and millimetre rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " :mad: :confused: :rolleyes: . He walked off and I never saw him again. But after that I had to get a surveryor out, who didn't exactly like taking over another persons work. So if you can, get your architect out and let him/her do the talking for you. However, do make sure you are present.

Sorry I've just noticed the measurements to the rear of the house. You probably didn't need planning permission and thus no architect. If this is the case, maybe then you should go and get a surveyor out. The guy I got was very reasonable. Can't remember exactly but around the 100 yoyo mark for a visit, which I thought was well worth it. So I'm sure they are all around the same price.

Foundations being low by around 1 inch really is nothing to worry about (trust me after 26 years a brickie) I have often built on foundations where there was a difference of up to 3 inches and more in the levels. normally this difference in levels will be corrected by the bricklayer.
To be honest 1 inch is nothing and it might not be a good idea to start questioning the builder over it as you may create a bit of an atmosphere for the rest of the build.
HOWEVER it would be a good idea to check the blockwork for levels at all corners ( when the builder is not there ) when it is raised up to the floor level and providing there is no more than a tolerance of 10mm I would say nothing.

hi, dont worry about it, i really would`nt hassle a builder over an inch of water, the job has only just started, you will get a lot bigger problems along the line, about the water, the bricklayer will build up what are called footings these walls will all be level , then the rest of the floor will be poured, it will all be level so again dont worry about it

thats right, the bricky will bring all level with the blocks and then the backfill and concrete floor will straighten all it out

you should be engaging someone to inspect the work if you yourself have no construction experience or knowledge.......

although the work may be exempt from planning ermission it will not be exemptfrom complying with relevant building regulations... you need someone to check this,,... and alos to check for best construction practises.....

whoever you engage, you should also agree a price for that professional to be available for problem solving advise should some arise... preferrably you should hav econstruction drawings to start with, but that almost never happens.....

expect to pay anywhere between €1200-€1500 for inspections engagement, and something extra for a 'problem solving' service as well.....

if you continue with this in your own laity...... then problems that need to be solved will come out of your own pocket... so any percieved savings by not engaging an architect / engineer can soon turn into real costs....

Many thanks for the advice. I did mention it to the builder as we get on quite well - he was fine and explained it's not of any concern. The blockwork is now complete up to floor level and everything is looking good.
I've also made inquiries to have some inspections made and the job certified for compliance. Thanks again!

Back