extension - dormer v story and a half

dawnsurprise

we currently have a 1300 sq ft bunglow on an acre in the country.
we are looking to extend house, we are adding a sunroom to the side, and adding to our kitchen out the back and the front room in the front and side.

our current roof is too shallow to make it into a dormer, so we will have to take the roof off to change the pitch to make it a dormer upstairs.

i like the look of a story and a half house, and i think we may get planning for this...

my question is how much more expensive would it be to change the house to a story and half over putting on a dormer roof?

is there any pros or cons on one over the other?

storey and a half will obviously give you more floor space....
as you say, it may pass planning better .. (less roof to wall ratio on elevation).....
only drawback is price....

What's the difference between "storey and a half" and "dormer"? I always assumed they were the same thing.

teddyk.

let me put it to you this way: I have a dormer...........and never again.

If a two-storey isn't on the cards, storey-and-a-half is the way to go. I think they look good.

And dormers are bloody expensive - as I heard a roofer say once........there's a forest of trees up in that roof.........

dormer - windows in the roof
story and half - wall higher and windows are half in wall half in roof

dormer - approx two thirds ground floor area....
storey and a half - same floor area as ground floor.....

What's the difference between "storey and a half" and "dormer"? I always assumed they were the same thing.

teddyk.
Storey and a half or 1.5 storey is something like going half way between a dormer and a full 2 storey. They can at times be referred to as "raised wallplate dormers"

In a dormer house the front and rear walls are usually built 2.40m high (8 ft) and the ceiling/floor joists are fixed at that height and rafters are then secured to the wallplate which is on top of the joists.

In a 1.5 storey the joists are still fixed at the same height but the walls are built up another 1.50m (5 ft) on average higher than the joists and then the wallplate and rafters fixed at this increased height.

Back