Extension/Building experiences

jack24

Hi,

I am currently planning an extension to the rear of my property (approx 20sqm - no planning permission required). Its a relatively straightforward project, there is rear access (albeit through a narrow side passage about 4ftwide at its narrowest so no access for a digger). The plan is for a lean to tiled roof with 2 velux roof windows, knocking out an internal (load bearing wall) and also needing a steel support where we are knocking out part of the exterior wall. There will be extensive glazing to the rear (hardwood double glazed windows) and a new utility room created in part of the old kitchen, oh and we are knocking down a shed/boiler house and getting gas installed. Has anyone completed a similar project (ie a domestic extension that wasnt just putting up a sunroom/conservatory but involved some structural work) recently? I was wondering what the ballpark sqm cost was for your projects and what level of finish you got for it. Any tips for dealing with builders (waiting for quotes back from them) would also be appreciated and generally if there is anything to watch out for/anything you would have done differently had you the chance to do it over again,

thanks

Jack

In the middle right now of doing same type of thing, we are building room to back 14ft x9ft, and making dining room /kitchen into one big open plan kitchen, RSJ needed , we are builing a hipped roof for new room which is ready for tiler, lean to roof we thought did not look as nice but just an opinion every one to themselves, we got quote for job of 36,000/34,000 Euro by a 2 diifferent builders, So we decided to do a self build. My brother is a plumber and nephew a Sparks so that is taking care of, got a carpenter friend of brother to do timber for roof, and a cost of 600E and also put in 2 velux, person who is doing the blocks and knocking down of 2 walls ie one to new room and other between kitchen/dining and who will do slabing and put in windows in new room and also one in new kitchen, who will leave it ready for painting cost 8500.00 he is also friend of family, one builder said lean to roof is cheaper to do and a hipped would cost an extra 2000.00 euro and made build deal of it, but our carpenter took one look and said hipp roof no problem , By the end material will cost between 4000.-4500 labour chippy needs to hang doors so total for him will be around 800E, builder 8500.00, roofer still waiting for price but is friend of brother so not sure , plumber and sparks Free family do not charge , so think about doing it yourself, we did foundation ourselves, a mini digger will fit up your side lane or get 5 lads with shovels like we did, any Questions just ask, I pay workmen and after that they do what they like, so around 14000.00 will be total

Doing something similar myself - Oulu those prices sound great - don't suppose youre in Dublin and could pass on the roofer and carpenter's details?

I will ask but not sure of prices ie my brother does work for their families so all look after each other, but I do know that they are fair with others aswell, so see what happens

U can higher Mini diggers that are 24 inches wide, for digiing out foundations. About €150 per day

Jack

Thanks lads,

I will let you know how much the quotes come in at. I don't have the connections to arrange all the tradesmen myself, especially given how difficult it is to get one you can trust and one that won't rip you off. Sure I already had architect's quote €3,500 for the design, which was never going to be an architectural masterpiece. A kitchen company who were not displaying much quality (there's a subtle clue there as to their identity) who despite numerous calls and visits still havent even bothered to draw up a plan for me (I am at the point now where, even though I wouldnt use them after this in a million years I am determined to make sure they put some effort into it). This country is unbelievable, when times are good precious few have a long term view, they just want the easy money. Anyone else had an extension done recently they want to comment on?

Jack

Hi there, Jack24 - i didn't have the family contacts either so had to put the job out to the tender process

we're in the middle of a 14x20ft extension - small RSJ going in, oil to gas changeover, replastering of all downstairs ceilings, recessed lighting and dimmers, 7ft window at back and french doors and 4 veluxs, walls prepped to skim stage, all electrics and plumbing made good, removing old oil tank, a shed and a

happy with builder (can pass on details if you wish) - he was the middle quote of three - recommendation from 2 friends of friends (independently - they didn't know each other - which was reassuring)

getting a kitchen installed separately - went on recommendation to Castleblayney to look at flooring (Irwins) and this kitchen place (Huenna) - price and service offered beats Dublin into the ha'penny place

had the wood delivered from Irwins last week - looks great and is presently getting used to the house before being laid

can give you an update on the kitchen when we get to that stage

none of this comes cheap (unless there are family members/ close friends who are in the business) but compared with some of the Dublin prices, my best tips now would be to look for as many out-of-town builders/ materials providers as possible - you'll be knocking big % of the final price

Thanks Doogo,

Sounds remarkably like my plans, you're not on my street by any chance!! Could you post the cost (or if you're squeamish about that sure drop me a PM if you wouldnt mind)? I'd be interested in the cost of the wood (is it solid/semi solid?) and the kitchen too. I am based north co dublin but the same as you I'm going to cast my net far and wide. Are you happy with your builder so far?

Cheers

Jack

Anyone else building something on at the moment/recently? With the sort of prices I've been hearing about I think it would be cheaper to knock the whole house down and start from scratch!!!

Jack

Hi Jack 24

I have just had my first builder look at my house this evening. What is foremost is my mind is the quote that "of course this will be more expensive that a new build"! I can only presume that he meant per sq metre. I was afraid to ask!

I have to wait 2 weeks for the quote from this company.

How did you fare out?

Marion

Marion,

We got around 5 quotes (the norm is 3 so 5 is probably a few too many but a couple of those were top of the heads, doing it for cash quotes). We have side access, but not sufficient to get a large digger down which increased the cost somewhat. We are doing an extension of approx 21sqm and its costing us approx €2,400 per sqm. It was the cheapest quote but some of the others were half that again. We settled on someone who had done work for a friend so we know he does things properly, its a bit of a lottery. I am sure there are many out there who've done it cheaper through direct labour etc. Good luck

Jack

Hi

Just had an extension finished - what I would do the next time!

1. . Check references and make sure you visit a number of jobs that he has completed recently and ask owners re experience.

2. Ensure you agree everything in writing

3 Record and confirm every promise , conversation

4 Make sure you agree that there will be no additional costs unless agreed by you in writing before spend is made

5 Ensure you have a very strict timeline for completion with agreed payment schedule and penalty for delays

6 Try and arrange to hold 10% for 6 months to get him back if there are problems

7 Ensure all waste is removed as and when it is created - don't let it pile up

8 Make sure you retain contingency budget and enough for fixtures and fittings once builder is finished

9 Ensure it is clear what is included - doors, windows, heating, painting etc etc. Concrete paths etc etc, outside lighting

I'm in the same sort of boat now. Thinking of a 20sqm extension for a kitchen also and looking at quotes.

However, I'm looking at a half builder, half direct labour job.

I need someone to:
Do the foundations
lay the blocks
Maybe put on the roof (I have a friend who is a roofer, but it may be just as handy to get builder to throw it up when the walls are done).

I have renovated the house, so during that process, I came accross an electrician I trust and a plumber. My Uncle in law is a reasonable good plasterer and my father in law and I put in a kitchen before, so I'd attack that myself (with the outlaw). I also laid floors before, so that would be done too.

Bottom line (using the 2,400 per sqm cost for a finished job) would it be possible to get the shell done for €20,000 (€1,000 per sqm)?

Also looking for quotes, what we are looking at doing is as follows, incorporating garage into the house and building over the garage, adding an extension the full width of the house with a bedroom upstairs on one half, so only single story on one half of the rear extension where we hope to create a sun room.

Anyone have an idea as to the cost of these jobs:
1. Convert Existing garage and incorporate into the house, and build over it and incorposate into the house (Garage is currently 9foot wide by 25foot).
2. Create a new extension at the back of the house linking onto the garage and running the width of the house (14foot deep by 26 wide), new kitchen in one half and sunroom in the other half,
3. create a new bedroom over the new kitchen (circ 14foot deep by 16 wide)

Just looking for indications of the psf/psm cost of the above jobs, and are any more expensive than the other. Also what does the cost quoterd normally cover, do it cover plastering/wiring/plumbing/allowance for fittings or is it just raw shell.

also cost for rewiring the existing house, 940sf, and installing new central heating into the new house - circ 1800 sf, 4 bed, 3reception, kitchen.

Also what is the approx cost for getting planning application prepared by an architect (house is in Terenure), for him preparing the build specification, reviewing tenders and overseeing the work. an indication as to the approx cost of each task would be appreciated, and opions on what you should get him to do as opposed to engineer etc.

ex council house Dublin - no bathroom

THE PROBLEM......Almost buying a house that has no bathroom (well, unless you count the outdoorsy WC by the back door!).... typical ex council Dublin house with 2 bedrooms upstairs - back bedroom is quite big. Currently there is a cast iron bath plonked in the big bedroom(!!!). May or may not incorporate it into bathroom depending on whether or not it’ll fit. Would like to thoughJ
THE SOLUTIONS?...... 3 ideas, which is best?
(a)to partition back bedroom (large) to make bathoom and bedroom. problem is that the existing window would then cross both rooms – is taking out a window and possibly knocking out some of the adjacent wall and then putting in two windows and fiilling in the gap a really expensive job?
(b) Or would we be better off having a completely internal bathroom between bedroom 1 and 2. Partition it from back bedroom 2 again and have a roof extractor fan thus doing away with the fiddly window/wall problem from solution a.
As it is the plumbing will all have to be newly installed upstairs so a big enough job already!
Or……
c) have a downstairs shower room. Access will probably have to be off living area. Could use existing WC area but would have to make it longer – covered but open area outside it at the moment (which falls inside the natural “boundary” of the house) would have to built up, maybe put in a window, more plumbing and create access from opposite side (living area). I know it’s not ideal solution.

Have absolutely no idea what anyone of this would cost! Making it hard to figure out whether or not to bid anymore for this place. Racking my brains all over Xmas trying to figure it out. Rough idea of costs for (a), (b) and (c) anyone?
Or which do you think is the best way to go?

I would prefer (a) if it was doable but would the costs really be huge?
(b) could be good too but I’ve no idea if you can have an extractor fan easily fitted to exit the roof of a terraced house?
(c) is prob a bad idea isn’t it…. Bathroom off living area? No hall unfortunately.

We’re first time buyers and the house already needs a lot of work – no heating & no kitchen either so budget will be key to the solution!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations/tips/ ballpark figures & Happy New YearJ

All extenders- you need to know that when you are extending lean to style or other, where you leave a part of an existing cavity wall over the new work, as in single storey on to two storey, a very importanr part of the Building Regulations kicks in. This has both practical and legal angles to it -non compliance is illegal but more imporant may cause problems when selling on in the future. Perhaps the practical apect is more important - although the (external) wall over is the outside leaf of the cavity within the extenson it is an internal wall! You must provide for protection aginst water ingress. One way of doing this is to insert a cavity tray. In my experience few or no builders are aware and indeed not many architects will think of it.
Just a word of advice as this is frequently a problem, even with older housing stock.

cb

Back