Exporting my car - tax implications?

Paulone

My Irish-reg car is parked in Spain at the moment. It's being minded by family over there after it proved impractical to bring it back in December 07.

It's been off the road since, has been out of tax since November 07, I cancelled the insurance in September 08 when it became clear that it would not be coming back, and the NCT expired in May this year.

I intend register the car in Spain next year as a personal import. I would have done this already but I don't yet fulfil the residency requirement in order to start the process & the law prevents the Spanish national in-laws from importing an RHD vehicle, so it has to wait for me.

There is that form which declares the car either scrapped or permanently exported, but I haven't sought that form yet as I can't do anything with it right now.

Because the car is in complete limbo yet is still registered to me at my Irish address, I feel I should be doing something to regularise the situation but am not sure what. Does anyone know if I'll get hit for a load of tax or other charges for the period it has been sitting unused?

Oh! you are paulone.. didn't notice.. sorry
Still ...you know more about exporting cars than me.

Back