Exporting food to the EU

L

Luke Walle

I am a stakeholder in a small food distribution enterprise and we are looking to expand to other European countries.

The problem is that recently the European Court has passes legislation concerning food made using fluoridated watter http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?noframes;read=151691

My question is how does this affect any exports from Ireland to the EU, do we have to be worried about getting sued or is the some certification of safety we must have to legally export food produce to the EU ?

Thanks

I'm not sure i'd be using that site for facts!

In any event the ECJ does not pass legislation, it interprets legislation that is currently in effect. Your best bet would be to ask Bord Bia what their advice is.

Thanks for you're response.

I know this law is fact(I just could not find a better link).

I think you're misunderstanding what I stated, I didn't doubt that there was a law, but it is a fact that the ECJ don't make law, they interpret it.

In this case the law relates to the labelling and marketing of foodstuffs and whether they are food or medicine and labelled as such.

This ECJ decision which is an interpretation of the law relating to the labelling of foodstuffs was made in 2005! so it's not recent as you stated and presumably to date has not caused problems for Irish Exporters, however my point still stands contact Bord Bia for advice.

If you want to look at the ECJ decision see here
[broken link removed]

The decision states that any foodstuffs before the 1997 regulation discussed are kosher, so that if fluoride was in use in ireland before then i would interpret that as being okay.