export a single private car to the uk

F

fuzzymummy

Hi there everyone , this is my first post on the site . I would like to know if anyone has had any experience of shipping a car to the uk ( for private , personal use ) . Can anyone recommend a value for money reliable shipping service that would take a car please ? Also what do you have to do to register the car and get the uk plates etc . I would be very grateful for any advice on the matter . Thanks .

I hope you didnt get an offer on your car on some website! I have a car for sale atm and I get loads of those emails asking to ship it to the UK, USA, Africa, etc etc!

However, I cant help you otherwise!

Car ferry is I presume the cheapest way.

But as Smash said , I hope you are not involved in some type of advance fee scam.

Thanks for your replies . I was hoping to hear from someone who had first hand experience . I know most of the traffic is the other way .

imported a car from northern ireland to GB.
believe it or not, this has to be done to register the car in GB.
usual documents required.

most people in sound mind would sell the car here as it would be chepaer to buy another in GB/UK?

I have experience of doing it for France.

I'm sure having someone drive it over on the ferry is the cheapest way of transporting it.

The documents I needed were the "logbook" or that document that registers you as the owner.
Proof of address in France
Certificate of conformity from the vehicle manufaturer cost about $100
Proof of ID
French NCT certificate

All in all to import my own irish car to France and register it cost me around €1000...excluding transportation.

It would have been MUCH better to sell it in Ireland and buy in the UK. (French second hand cars are expensive.)
But couldn't get a buyer in Ireland.

Back