Explosive reached Ireland after failed test.

Re: What do you think this was all about?

The 'story' sounds convoluted and implausible whatever way you look at it IMO. Bizarre.

The 'story' sounds convoluted and implausible whatever way you look at it IMO. Bizarre.

To be fair, it's an update on the original story. That is one of the strangest stories I have read in a long time. Who needs terrorists when you have these type of people responsible for airport security.

I have never trusted Airport Security here.. the experience of travelling through Dublin compared to Heathrow is inexplicable. They nearly x-ray you with their eyes in Heathrow.

I remember after 9/11 when security was apparently increased in Dublin - a Sun reporter travelled back from *destination* with a Machete in his bag - toddled through all security - i can't remember what airport he came from but i bet it wasnt the UK.

I was actually in Manchester airport on 9/11 when it happened. To this day I don't know how or why it happened but there was no staff at the x-ray machines. Everyone walked through without going through any security checks. It was bizarre!
I don't trust airport security anywhere. It's all about appearances. If someone is determined to do something, they will find a way.

Oh i didnt realise that was the case - i couldnt find an archived article on the story - i do agree that if somebody was determined they would find away...

Going slightly off topic - do you think the Full Body Scanners will make a difference?

Isnt the problem with airport security in Slovakia, not Dublin? You get scanned before getting on a plane, not when you get off.

What I found most bizarre is that when the tests referred to in the article are done, they usually dont put the stuff in a real passengers baggage. I think there's more to this than we'll ever know.

Human error; We'll never fully abolish it.

This sort of thing is not commonplace but certainly happens more than we might realise. See for example this story, where an unwitting passenger on a flight from Australia was 'gifted' some spamspamspam.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/airport-gives-passenger-10000-in-drugs/2008/05/27/1211653984557.html

I seem to recall reading of at least two similar incidents on flights in USA; I will see if I can trrack them down.

To me the story is so bizarre it can only be true.

I think history has shown that if people wish to find a means of getting things onto a plane, they will. Security still relies on people and even with the best people at the job, it's hard to really be observant continuously.

Mind, there's the old statistician joke regarding the odds of a bomb being on a plane as 1/1000, but the odds of two bombs being on a plane 1/1,000,000. Therefore always carry your own bomb on a plane to ensure you're never subjected to a terrorist attack.

there's the old statistician joke regarding the odds of a bomb being on a plane as 1/1000, but the odds of two bombs being on a plane 1/1,000,000. Therefore always carry your own bomb on a plane to ensure you're never subjected to a terrorist attack.

Funny, and it makes you think!

Here's my take on this:
(Completely my own imagination by the way)
The Slovakian is on some secret service mission and was caught with the RDX and arrested. The Slovakian authorities invented the story to get him released.
Who needs movies?

Sounds more plausible.

i believe it should be for both ..
as for the real baggage - they tried in France a short while ago but stopped after a very similar security mess up occured ...
apparently, the policeman responsible for detecting the explosive forgot about it until the plane was departing and after that was too scared to inform his superiors
overall, it's all about people behaving like muppets rather frequently - the explosive itself isn't really dangerous without a detonator and you'd really have to hammer it pretty hard to get any kind of effect out of it ... still, a very stupid situation

I wonder if there are any "trace" explosives left in the passenger's suitcase. I wouldn't fancy re using that suitcase again when travelling to the USA or similar.

Airport security is a joke in most countries and the passenger screening is more a security theater than an actual deterrent as the recent example about the flight to Detroit has shown once again.

The suspected terrorist had a one way ticket (paid in cash) and no bags (going to wintery Detroit) and all he got was the standard metal detector with an x-ray of his hand bag.

Theater that is all that is and the ability for underpaid monkeys that did fail the law enforcement entry exam to play cop.

Go to India if you want to see professional security screening in layers with cross checks, they learned their lessons after their problems. Sure even they would not have stopped the Detroit attempt but at least they are efficient about the rest of the theater.

As to the poor person that got our finest law enforcement treatment after the Slovak police messed up, I hope he gets some sort of compensation for his troubles.