Exploring moving house and getting a new mortgage.

GoingPlaces

Personal details

Spouse’s/Partner's age: 35

Number and age of children: 3 under 14.

Income and expenditure
Annual gross income from employment or profession: €99,000
Annual gross income of spouse: €30,000

Monthly take-home pay: €5,400 & €1,850. Combined €7,250 approx.

Type of employment:
Both Private sector employees. Full time & permanent.

In general are you:
(a) saving about 30% of combined net salaries, only really started properly a few months ago.

Summary of Assets and Liabilities
Family home worth €250k with a €185k mortgage
Cash of €85k

Family home mortgage information
Lender PTSB
Interest rate 3.9% variable

(No need to tell us the monthly repayments or what term is left)

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc

Car loan: less than 12k remaining. €420 P/M.
We have no credit cards, or any other form of credit usage.

Other savings and investments:

Do you have a pension scheme?
Yes.

Do you own any investment or other property? No.

Other information which might be relevant

Life insurance: Yes. Simple mortgage protection.

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

Exploring moving house, getting a new mortgage and I have a bunch of questions about getting a new mortgage if anyone would like to help me.

1. We'd need a new mortgage circa €275-€300k for a €415-€440k home.
a. What are our chances of getting this amount?
b. Would it be easier for me to go solo for the next mortgage? As 3.5 times my salary is €345k, which is more than we want.
c. I've read advice about going to a broker at the start of the year when their percentage of clients to whom they can lend 4 x salary is re-set?

2. Should we sell our home before we go looking?
a. We have a huge close family home we can move into for several months or even a year while looking. Rent free. With a single other current occupant.

3. I did a credit report check.
a. All current mortgage payments paid in full & on time.
b. All past loans were all paid in full with zero missed payments.
c. The last Credit Union loan I had I paid off the remainder, circa €6k, in a lump sum about eight months ago.
i. Will this affect me?
ii. Will this be questioned or does this even matter?
d. The mortage lender only sees the last two years in any case, isn't that correct?
i. So, even though entire credit history is clear, only I can see the entire past five years? So it doesn't really benefit me extra?
ii. Neither of us have applied for any new loan, overdraft, or credit in over 2 years.

4. I have the potential to change job for more money. Circa €7k per annum extra.
a. If I did, I'd only have to wait until the six months probation is over and then get a fresh salary cert?
b. I've never been unemployed or had an employment gap of even one day at anytime since age 18.

5. In regards broker's.
a. We got our current (and only) mortage years ago through broker. So I found the process so easy back then.
b. I know of one near by who has a really excellent reputation.
c. Does a broker these days handle all the paperwork for you?
i. As in we give him all the certs, statements etc and they become the sole point of contact with all the potential lenders?
ii. This sounds like such less of a headache than doing it ourselves.
iii. Does anyone here recommend going through a broker?

Thanks in advance for your insights and advice.

Summary of Assets and Liabilities
Family home worth €250k with a €185k mortgage
Cash of €85k

Car loan: less than 12k remaining. €420 P/M.

1. We'd need a new mortgage circa €275-€300k for a €415-€440k home.

When you sell your home, you will have €145k for a deposit or about €130k after paying off the car loan.

Cost of new home €440k less €130k = c. €300k

Combined salaries: €120k

So you are borrowing 2 1/2 times your salary, so this should be a very easy mortgage to get.

You will be borrowing about 70% Loan to Value.

I don't think you need a broker. And a broker may steer you to what suits them best rather than what suits you best.

Brendan

Life is so much simpler if you do not have a home to sell.

If you bid on a house now, subject to selling your own home, the seller won't consider your bid.

Given that you have free accommodation available to you, sell your own home now and move into the free accommodation.

Brendan

4. I have the potential to change job for more money. Circa €7k per annum extra.
a. If I did, I'd only have to wait until the six months probation is over and then get a fresh salary cert?
b. I've never been unemployed or had an employment gap of even one day at anytime since age 18.

It really depends on which is the priority for you.
If you are definitely going to buy a house, then do this first.
Change job when you have drawn down the mortgage for a new house.

If you are only thinking about trading up, then change job if that is what you want to do. €7k on €99k is not a lot. Make sure that you are moving for the right career reasons.

Avant seems to be the best option for you at 3.75% fixed for 5 years.

You do need to go through a broker to get an Avant mortgage, so make sure that your broker has an agency for Avant. Most don't.

You should also get mortgage approval in principle from permanent tsb. They know you so they should grant it fairly easily to you. You could go direct or through a broker. I would say go direct.

As you are going to sell your home, you should immediately use the cash to pay down your loans.

I assume that the interest rate on the car loan is more than 3.9% and that there is no early repayment penalty. Pay that off first.

Then pay down your home loan.

Brendan
Hi Brendan,

wow, I really wasn't expecting such rapid replies. Thank you very much indeed.

I appreciate all your answers. I was thinking about paying off the car loan, so I definitely will give that consideration. Thank you to @RedOnion for your contribution as well.

I was also leaning strongly to selling our current house. I think we'll explore it, under zero pressure so no harm in waiting.

@RedOnion we're married so we'd almost certainly be going joint again. Just curious would it save paperwork.

Its a pity that there are so few lenders on the Irish market. In times of interest rates rising I suppose like many others I have zero loyalty to PTSB, its whoever is cheapest really. They've been grand mind you, no real complaints.

@Brendan Burgess thanks for your views on broker's.

@RedOnion we're married so we'd almost certainly be going joint again. Just curious would it save paperwork.
Definitely no saving in paperwork. If you're married it's very difficult to get a mortgage for PPR in sole name, so joint application is the way to go.

Back