Explaining Death of Pet to Children?

LouthLass

Not sure if this is the right forum so please move if appropriate.

Just wondering how other people out there explain the death of pets to children? Recently had the death of a 12 year old family dog which was very upsetting but trying to explain it to a 10 year old child was heartbreaking - the dog had been a permanent fixture in his life and now she is gone he is obviously upset. The whole experience has made me wonder how other people deal with it? What do other AAM's suggest to make it easier to explain? All contributions welcome.

Kind regards

LL

I can understand as we always had dogs as children and remember being heartbroken when our first dog died. We buried him in the back garden (which was large as we lived on a farm so may not suit your situation) and put a little homemade wooden cross on his grave. Still didn't stop us crying for months afterwards until we got our new puppy and that was so exciting that we were happy again.
Now 30+ years on, I tell the children that the dog has gone to "doggy heaven" and is very happy there and we plant a tree or a rose bush in the garden. They still cry and ask questions but do come to terms with it. Then, when the time is right, maybe you will get another dog. I also explain to the children that every 1 year of a dogs life is equivalent to 7 years of a person's life and that they don't live as long as humans. Your son's grief is genuine and heartbreaking but he will get over it in time. Best of luck, I feel for him.

Thanks Rois, we are also in a lucky position of living in a rural area so we were able to bury her in the garden. It will take time I'm sure and a lot of adjustment but we will get there! As for getting another dog, I imagine that we will in the future but not for a while.

Again, many thanks for your response.

Kind regards

LL

We were in the sad situation of losing our cat suddenly a few weeks ago. My youngest is the same age as yours. I found her (the cat) on the road when I came home from work, she had been hit minutes before that. We were able to bring her home and let the girls say good bye and the next day we buried her in the garden. Like you, we live in a rural area with plenty of room so we could chose somewhere nice for her under her favourite tree.

As time has passed we all still miss her so much, the girls put flowers on her grave and I've noticed the little one sometimes goes and sits under the tree and has a wee chat. We don't labour the point or anything but if the girls want to talk, we listen. The upsets are getting further apart now but every now and again the little one gets a bit tearful and needs to talk.

We have two dogs who have been a great comfort and we know that one day we will get another cat but not just now. I feel that when the time is right, we'll know.

Sorry for your loss, it's so hard losing a loved pet.

Had three cats, lost two through traffic and the one remaining won't allow any other around the place. Kids were gutted and still are and while it was many months ago they would still love to see another cat emerge but the existing one will not allow that happen. The fact that you can bury a dead pet in the vicinity of the house is great for children because they can visit the grave as often as they like until another distraction comes along i.e. a replacement pet.

Betsy,

That looks like quite a good book! Many thanks for the recommendation and also to the other posters who took time out to reply to my query.

Kind regards

LL

Back