Expired Cheque incorrectly drawn....how to redeem?

Marie

My late mother left me some shares and the probate solicitor duly had them transferred into my name and sent me the Share Certificate.

The first interim dividend cheque arrived but made out to "Admin (my mother's name) Deceased". When I tried to lodge it in my current account the bank rejected it as it is not made out to me. That was December 2005, the cheque got put into a file and forgotten and came to light a few days ago (January 2007 - 13 months) when I was filing stuff.

I have contacted the corporate registrars. Am I correct in thinking that they will simply issue a current cheque to replace it? If I receive no response what do I need to do next?

I had a lost Vodafone dividend cheque experience a few years ago - didn't realise I hadn't received the cheque until the next one arrived 12 months later. (dividend is so small, it doesn't buy much so I didn't miss it!). I contacted the registrars, and once they verified that the original cheque hadn't been cashed (it hadn't), they issued a duplicate within a couple of weeks. Hope you get sorted quickly.

thanks Gipiman - I've posted it off to them and hopefully they'll issue a current replacement.

If replacement cheque is also made payable to admin XXX deceased, then your bank may again refuse to lodge. A way round the predicament is to lodge it with the solicitor who handled estate and get fresh cheque from him payable to yourself.

Back