Expensive Kitchen, 90% deposit paid, Disaster Installation

MBoyle

My friend recently built a new house and went all out with the kitchen. She went to the showroom, saw the quality of their work, had a recommendation from another person, and was happy to pay a 90% deposit on a 20K kitchen.

They've been putting it in for the past 6 months,and the kitchen is far from what she thought she was getting. Apparently (according to the fitter) the original supplier, who'd supplied assembled units ready to be fitted, had stopped supplying because they were owed money.

This resulted in them buying cheap materials and trying to put a kitchen together. For example,they hammered a cooker hood together, they stuck tongue & groove onto the side of the units etc. etc.

The kitchen has been installed but is well below the standard it should be for the price. What can she do? She hasn't and won't pay the last 2,000E. But is there anything she can do to get the kitchen she asked for, or to recover some of the money she gave them?

Help Please...

Re: Expensive Kitchen,90% deposit paid,Disaster Installation

If it's not what she paid for tell them to take a hike. See your solicitor and have them issue a letter to the kitchen people, hold on to the 2k though

can u let us know which co. it is. About to order a 15k kitchen . If u cant name them can u say where they are based so as we can eliminate others by default.

Hi Jupiter

Be very clear that the fitter has the facts correct before you name any company.

I'm sure Brendan Burgess would like to keep his house for a while yet!

With regard to your friend's specific problem:

They should be very clear what was actually agreed with the supplier. Considering the cost of the kitchen, the Small Claims Court is not an option.

I would advise that they go back to the retailer with pictures of the installed kitchen and make their case with the manager/owner.

Marion

The key lesson here is NOT to pay 90% deposits for anything relating to building and construction etc. In fact, I can't think of any scenario where a 90% deposit is justified.

We paid a 10% deposit for our kitchen, 80% on the day of delivery/installation, and 10% one month later.

Back