Expensive for dinner?

thedaras

I have been looking at a hotel to stay in for a wedding we are going too.

I am finding it hard to understand the difference in cost of having a dinner in the hotel or not!!
It would work out at e139 for dinner(not including drinks !! and I thought we were in a recession!!HOLY GOD!What kind of dinner would you expect for that?

1 Standard Double or Twin - Bed & Breakfast and Dinner
Room price for 1 night: € 298.00

1 Standard Double or Twin - Bed & Breakfast
Room price for 1 night: € 159.00

Sounds expensive alright.
Have you checked out the restuarant menu on the hotel's website?

Good thinking,Just did that and they dont have prices on the menu,but this is a list of what is available;Still cant get over the prices though!

DAUBE OF IRISH BEEF
Tender braised Irish beef on a bed of potato mash with a wild mushroom sauce
SEA FRESH COD
Sea fresh baked cod complemented by a white wine sauce with prawns and smoked
salmon
CONFIT OF DUCK REDCURRANT JUS
Duck confit on a bed of colcannon mash and a sweet redcurrant and port wine jus

STIR FRY VEGETABLES AND SELECTION OF POTATOES
Our chef would be more than happy to also prepare a selection of fresh boiled vegetables on request

At that dinner price the chef would have to have a Michelin star. Even then fine dining would really have to be your cup of tea.

I would expect:

Starter: Pan fried rhinoceros nipples
Main course: Larks in Aspic served with mash
Dessert: Mouse's elbow flavour ice-cream

Can not not just book the rooms and check out what the food options are when you get there?

lol..Ill be heading to the local chipper,just as nice and could feed a family of five for a week for that price..!

Good thinking,Just did that and they dont have prices on the menu,

I remember reading about the excesses of CJ Haughey.
He regularly went to a restaurant where the prices were left off the menu.

If you had to ask the price, you probably couldn't afford it

Well I cant afford it..the price is evident though as you just need to deduct the price of the B and B,and then see how much it costs for Dinner ,B and B, mad money!!

Surely the €139 is for two people rather than each? If this is the case then €70 per head is not out of the way for a good hotel - or am I out of touch with prices over there?

There's a well known hotel in Wicklow that has two restaurants, one charging €65 per person for dinner. Afaik, no reductions for hotel guests, and wine is extra... a lot extra.

€159 also seems pretty expensive for a hotel room and brekkie these days, but that could be down to the wedding.

I would expect:

Starter: Pan fried rhinoceros nipples
Main course: Larks in Aspic served with mash
Dessert: Mouse's elbow flavour ice-cream

Can not not just book the rooms and check out what the food options are when you get there?

lol - I havent had a nice bit of pan fried rhino nipple in ages - bloody ivory ban the reason no doubt.

Seriously, 70 quid each for dinner, on that menu = so not worth it. Are you sure there is no wine included?

I found the hotel after googling your menu - youre paying for venue not food with those prices for that menu.

Yep,I did think someone would google the menu..
Thing is the venue is I suppose not a too bad price for a Saturday night,so have decided to just book the room and eat at the chipper!as you said,its so not worth it!

Co. Galway, where Supermacs is considered fine dining

Beautiful looking hotel, googled it too

Yep,I did think someone would google the menu..
Thing is the venue is I suppose not a too bad price for a Saturday night,so have decided to just book the room and eat at the chipper!as you said,its so not worth it!

Ah eating at the chipper - an extra dollop of vinegar my good man? - why thank you kindly - what a feast for only 10 euro

I googled it too.

Ther may be some mistake.

Taking 11th June as an example, the differnce between the price of a superior single B&B and a superior B&B with dinner is just €35 (€189 - €154).

Yet the difference between a double superior B&B (€194) and a double superior B&B with dinner (€338) is €144, i.e. €72 per person.

This means that people staying in a double room are paying over twice as much for dinner PER PERSON as the guy staying in the single. Something's not right. Maybe you should bring it to their attention.

Staples , that's very interesting.Well spotted..
I will email them and bring it to their attention..Cheers..

Staples , that's very interesting.Well spotted..
I will email them and bring it to their attention..Cheers..