Expense rates

Later

Hi

I have been using the It54 guidance for expenses as a director.

Has anyone any guidance on what rates should be used for employees. I am using actual costs for hotel/meals etc. The rate for mileage is one I could do with some help on.

Thanks in advance

Thank you
Is there a rate less than these rates that people consider fair? I would prefer some flat rate regardless of Kms travelled.

You can pay at whatever rate you want.

If the rate exceeds the civil service rates then you have to treat it as salary rather than a tax-free expense.

Whole sum "allowances" may also be treated as income and taxed.

I presumed OP meant a flat (per km) rate that won't change based on number of kms travelled, the way civil service rate changes above 6,437km.

But yes OP, you must pay a rate per mile / km travelled, and appropriate records need to be kept to allow you to prove in an audit that the amounts paid were genuine expense payments (as opposed to a handy way of boosting employees' take home pay without having to operate tax/USC/PRSI).

Yes, what I meant was changing rates at 6,437 limit. We have a very good records system for our company so all books are in order.

I suppose what I Was trying to get at: is there a rate for mileage that is lower than the civil service rate that companies use? It looks like I can set a rate up to the civil rate or just use the advertised rates.