expected costs in Malaysia

jph

I'm heading to Malaysia on my return from Australia. My first stop is Kuala Lumpur and I am travelling alone and have arranged to be collected at the airport for a transfer to the hotel which is about an hour's drive away. Does anyone have any idea of the expected costs involved and what would be an appropriate tip?

Thanks a mill for any advice

jph

When you say you have arranged to be collected what do you mean exactly. Is it a bus/taxi/private car? What is the cost?

From the airport there are a number of ways to get to KL. You can get a bus into the Centre of KL for about 9R which is about E2.

You can also get a fast train which will get you into Sentral station which is the main station in kL. It is a little more expensive to travel on that and you have the added expense of getting a cab from the station to your hotel.

Alternativly you can get a cab R60 - E10 approx. Much easier to take a taxi which will take you straight to you hotel. Tipping is optional in Malaysia so a couple of euros will be plenty.

There is also a more luxury taxi you can use but if you are on you own you don't need it.

All these services are available at the airport so you don't need to pre book so when you say you have arranged transport make sure you are not paying too much for tha service.

If you decide on a cab always take a metered cab - the cowboys offering taxis will rip ya off.

[quote=Cayne;817212]If you decide on a cab always take a metered cab - the cowboys offering taxis will rip ya off.[/quote]
I'm sorry to say but you this is not my experience of anything in KL, I got a limo service from airport to hotel, It cost me R110 (€23)and its about 60 miles with tolls which was in price, driver said their policy was not to take tips, I stayed in 4 star for €30 per night per person and ate in hotel restaurant on 2 nights, when I went to pay bill they said this was included in my booking which I paid before I left Ireland, I asked the hotel limo service to arrange my trip back to airport and they charged me R120 all included,A limo is not what you think, its just a big car, Imagine what you would be charged in Dublin for 10 mile.so how would you be ripped off at those prices,