Expansion Tanks

S

sparks

Hi,

I am looking for some information in regard to an expansion tank for a gas central heating system.

The expansion tank needs replacing and there seem to be two types available. Some have the water pipe on the top and some have the water pipe on the bottom. Is there a difference or can I turn it upside down.

Sorry if this seem like a stupid question!

Yes they turn, make sure when t place on the return line in a position not subjected to heat load. Also if placing high on the system make sure you leave a way of venting air,
and no valves that can isolate it from the heating system

I have a tank that sits on top of my cold water storage tank in the attic - I presume this is the "expansion tank"?

This feeds the heating system?

Just that there is no over-flow pipe on it. There is a mains pipe feeding it with a ball cock. I'm afraid if the ball cock fails.

Why would any numb-skull not put on an overflow pipe?

It is smaller than the tank underneath but it means then that I can't cover it, plus it sits on two planks so if it overflowed it wouldn't go into the tank below.

I suppose it's the same as any toilet to which an overflow has not been fitted, but it's worrying when it's in your attic, looks like it could destroy the house, particularly as the expansion tank is metal (not plastic) and it looks like it has been there for 50 years....

Back