Expanding foam to insulate bath...

serotoninsid

Someone told me that if 'expanding foam' is sprayed on the underside of the bath, it will insulate it - therefore keeping the bathwater warmer for longer.
This seems logical and I'm thinking of doing it seeing as the sidepanel of the bath has been removed whilst the plumber installs my shower.

Where can i get this expanding foam and how much do i need? What does it cost?

serotoninsid said:
Someone told me that if 'expanding foam' is sprayed on the underside of the bath, it will insulate it - therefore keeping the bathwater warmer for longer.
This seems logical and I'm thinking of doing it seeing as the sidepanel of the bath has been removed whilst the plumber installs my shower.

Where can i get this expanding foam and how much do i need? What does it cost?

It works! We put it on an enamel bath. You can buy it in any hardwear, it's about 10 quid a can but it's messy stuff. Tho one we used was called "no more gaps". WD40 is good for cleaning it up. Get a good pair of rubber gloves before you start.

Hi

From the title ( "no more gaps" ) it would suggest its actually produced to stop gaps between the bath tub and the tiles, hence preventing water from leaging down the edge .. is this correct ?

Cheers

G>

It has [broken link removed], but I wouldn't count on it as a permanent water seal for something as heavy and 'splash-prone' as a bath. Best to seal from the outside with something like [broken link removed], once the bath is rigidly secured in place.

I just stuffed a couple of rolls of roof insulation, the glass fibre stuff, round my bath while the bath panel was off for plumbing work.

Seems to me to have done the job for very little money. It does of course have the added advantage that there is no obstruction should you need to do any work under there.

If it's just for the bath tub then you can use the cheapest foam, Lidl had it some weeks ago for about €5.- per 750ml can. But you can save on the total price by putting expanded polystyrene foam (EPS) leftovers-for example from packaging material- under the tub as well and just fill the remaining gaps with Polyurethane(PU) foam. For sealing the rim of the tub-the gap between the tub and the tiles- you shouldn't use PU foam. Use silicone or acrylic based sealant. PU foam is not light proof and will deterioate i.e. it will stop to do the job of sealing once exposed to light for a longer period.

DrMoriarty said:
It has [broken link removed], but I wouldn't count on it as a permanent water seal for something as heavy and 'splash-prone' as a bath. Best to seal from the outside with something like [broken link removed], once the bath is rigidly secured in place.

Thanks Doc :)

Regards

G>

Back