existing property boundary being challenged by neighbour

ninak

We have had a fence dividing our property and our neighbours for the last 15 years aprox. since we sold the site next to us. The wording in the legal documents leaves it a bit vague as to where the boundary line actually is. When the fence was put up, 15 years ago, in order to make it straighter there was gain and loss by both parties along the line, but only by small amounts. The neighbours property has since been sold and the new neighbour wants to replace the existing fence with a new wall. The fence needs replacing so I have no problem with that. But she is making a bit of a fuss about where the boundary line actually is, and where this wall should be!

My question is, if after this long a period of time can someone attempt to change the boundary line? If she does, do I have to go to the expense of a solicitor to stop any change?

Get advice from a solicitor. After 12 years there will be squatters rights. You will also need to see if there was a map drawn and attached to the Deed when the site was sold.

When you sold the site did an engineer not draw up a map? This will have been used by the vendor to sell to your new neighbour. Be polite in all your dealing with the new neighbour as these things can get out of hand.

Does anyone know the answer to this - even if there is a boundary map & deeds for 2 adjacent sites would squatters rights still apply? It has come to my notice that a septic tank located on my mothers site is actually in my brothers site? The actual maps don't even make sense - the boundary line goes right through my mothers drive way - crazy? Its been this way for at least 30 years, but we weren't aware of it until recently. Apart from moving walls, tank etc. to comply with the maps is there anything else we can do? (brother & wife not willing to sign over the portion of land)

Yes a map was drawn up with the deeds by the engineer at the time with a reference to the boundary being so many feet from an embankment on our side. But as the embankment curves and butts in and out along its length, the boundary fence is more than the stated distance from the embankment at some places and less in others, as the fence runs, roughly, in a straight line. I think the distance was measured from the widest point of the embankment and that was taken as the line of the fence. So in parts where the embankment does not go out as far, we have more than the specified number of feet on our side. Hope this makes sense!

Back