Exhaust emission light

R

r2d2

Mark IV Golf GTi.....Exhaust emission light came on this morning....The manual says to drive it gently to my nearest VW dealer, the garage I bought it from (it's still under warranty) said it won't do any harm driving it and to drop in when it suits over the next few days and they'll plug it in to their diagnostic machine. Does anyone know if I'm I safe to drive it for a day or two without doing any further damage ??

Thanks,

r2d2

hey my polo has the emission lights on as well.take it from your msg, its a constant light and not a flashing one.

the told me the exhaust pipe has been damaged and so as the cat converter.basically the possible cause is the car hit a rock on the road or hit a ramp that damage the exhaust and subsuquently causing damage to the cat converter.

if i were u i rather leave the car at the garage as theres a chance the car will stall/ wouldn't start as thats what happened to me.

they can be rite that you can drive the car, but at the end of day the decision is urs, personally i would definitly leave the car there, (hope i will rive a GTi someday) i think theres a chance the car might not start for you. have you notice any loss in power or any damage done on the exhaust? u can take a look at the underside of the car and see.

The same light came on in my Audi A4 a while back. The dealer said as long as the car was running ok that it was safe to drive it until they could get it looked at. It may be a faulty sensor and may not necessarily be an exhaust emmision problem.

to be honest i don't like the attitude of the dealer, they told me the same, personally i wouldn't take that risk on board. at the end of the day if theres more damaged done, its ur car not their and they don't give a damn.

r2d2,
I had the same problem with my Golf and I got the same instruction from my garage (you'll only have a problem if the light is flashing). It's happened to me three times in total - it seems to be a niggly problem to fix (first time it was a clogged air filter, second time can't remember and third time needed two parts changing).

Agreed. The dealer would not look at my car for over two weeks until I created a stink about paying a premium for a premium brand and expecting better service etc. It will be my last time dealing with them. As you say they just don't care.

Hi All,

I took the safe approach and took it down to the dealer this morning....It turned out to be an engine temperature switch which was 'tricking' the system !??

Thanks all for your advice...

r2d2

Smart! thanks for letting me know.
must be sweet driving around in the Gti...
hope i will own one someday

Back