Exercise bike

Hillsalt

Any suggestions where to buy an exercise bike?
I've looked online at Elverys and Argos but would like some guidance please.

Firstly - no idea about exercise bikes. So if you are looking for advice on what specs/ to look for sorry

...but as one who bought a cross trainer in Argos (and then sold it on Buy and Sell) are you sure you'll use it? Mine turned into a great clothes horse despite best intentions.

Have you had a look at adverts.ie?

It's the caveat emptor I'm afraid and with all exercise equipment you really do get what you pay for. It's not just functions, but the durablility and strength of the equipment.

Argos tend to do the standard cheaper equipment and the mid range. They aren't the best quality equipment you can get. The Elverys range is more mid range.

Both are suitable for beginners and light exercise, but I wouldn't be planning on training for the Tour de France or anything.

Argos : Make sure you live in a city because returns can be a pain.

Elverys : Do have a sale on at the moment, so would be good to go into a shop and have a look around, same with most sport shops, they will keep a certain amount of fitness equiptment in stock.

Home Shopping Catalogues are also worth a look, great for spreading out the cost.

Take a look here too, at an online store : http://www.fitnessireland.ie/

Do you already have an ordinary bike or would you consider getting one? If so, you could buy a turbo trainer - basically a frame that you can place the bike in that holds it stationary so you can use it like an exercise bike. That way you have the option not only of exercising in front of the telly on a rainy day, but also of going out and about on your bike. Hopefully less likely that way to suffer from the 'clothes horse' syndrome mentioned above.

Get a turbo trainer with a frame that holds the bike, not just rollers that you've to try to balance on, otherwise you'll be trying so hard to balance that you won't be able to read a book / watch telly at the same time.
In other words, get something like this:
41SkTWhnH7L._SL160_AA160_.jpg

not this:
30010.jpg

If you don't already have a bike, you might even be able to get one relatively cheaply by involving your employer under the recently introduced cycle to work scheme.

Back