Exempted development - question about existing structures on the site.

Mystic Oil

Having spent some time studying the "Exempted Development" rules, I am seeking words of wisdom from those who understand their finer nuances. Specifically, I have a question regarding the cut-off date for previous development, if such a provision exists.

In taking into consideration existing structures, does the legislation differentiate between structures that stood prior to the introduction of any planning legislation?

By way of example:

Would a house built (with a small shed) in the mid 19th Century require the benefit of full planning permission, if the owner wanted to construct a 25m2 garage (a structure that would otherwise fall comfortably within the Exempted Development provisions)?

If I understand your scenario correctly (i.e. that both the shed and house were built before 1963), then you are entitled to build the exempt garage - provided you comply with the other conditions, that it is a dwelling, garage located behind line of front of house, sufficient space left over etc.

+1 what Superman has said.

However, if the building is a Protected Structure, then you will probably need a planning permission for any works as the exempted development schedule may not apply.
Just to flesh this out a little, the exemptions arise under the planning and development legislation, so there is a sort of Grandfather Clause for what existed before the legislation came into force.

"Pre-'63" is a prhase you may still read about in terms of persons making planning applications in Dublin City - a prior use of extended property which is pre-'63 is almost untouchable by the Planning Authority.
Of course, once you start doing work to it, Post-'63, thsi falls under the remit of the planning and development acts. :)

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back