Executor, my father's wife, not of sound mind.

deTiddles

Re my Dad's will. He left a will naming his wife (not my mother) as Executor of his property. However, she is not of sound mind, with both dementia and a brain tumour. Her daughter (not a family member), who has POA for her mother, has taken charge, and both she, and the solicitor dealing with my father's will, are excluding his children from the process and not responding to requests for information, despite the fact that i) we are the beneficiaries and ii) I am executor of his literary estate. I'm sure this cannot be right. My father would have been horrified as he could not stand the woman (his wife's daughter)

Can you tell me what to do?

First and foremost, sorry for your trouble.

Apologies for asking when did he die and what is a 'literary estate'?

Have you engaged a solicitor yourself for advice?

When a person gets dementia the former poa is not legal any more. Only a enduring poa is

. Her daughter (not a family member), who has POA for her mother, has taken charge, and both she, and the solicitor dealing with my father's will,

This doesn't sound right, if the executor is not of sound mind than someone else has to be appointed executor. I cannot see how the POA gives the daugher the right to do this. I recommend a visit to the solicitor. Or a solicitor of your own.

Back