Executive Pension Advice

Rosser

Hello,
I’m a company director/owner and I’m looking to start a pension.
I’ve been advised to set up an executive pension plan with Zurich Prisma 5. The advisors fee are as follows:
AMC: 1%
FBC: .25%

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Zurich seem to have a good track record?
Do these fee seem high? Could I negotiate with the advisor to reduce them?
I would be grateful for any feedback.

I’ve been advised to set up an executive pension plan with Zurich Prisma 5.
By whom?
Tied agent?
Independent financial advisor?
Other?
The advisors fee are as follows:
AMC: 1%
FBC: .25%
FBC = Fund Based Commission I presume?
So is that a total annual charge of 1.25%?
Or is the FBC charged per contribution rather than p.a. on the value of the fund?
Not excessive but not the cheapest as far as I know.
Are cheaper annual charges available on index tracker funds compared to actively managed funds?
Any other charges?
Bid-offer spread?
Less than 100% allocation on contributions?
Any penalties for early years transfer?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Zurich seem to have a good track record?
Zurich are obviously a very large and reputable company.
But you need to think about what fund(s) is (are) suitable for your needs.
In my opinion, if you're not on the verge of retirement - and arguably even if you are, due to longevity and likely rolling over of a large chunk of the pension into an ARF ongoing investment - a high/all equities fund/index tracker is often the most appropriate in many cases.
Do these fee seem high? Could I negotiate with the advisor to reduce them?
You can always ask. ;)

I'm not a pensions professional so those who are around here might be able to pose other pertinent questions and offer more nuanced suggestions.

Hi

I’ve a bit of experience this and have been trying to solve it for a lot of years. I’ve had a few different options over the years.

My two cents. And I can’t stress this enough.
It’s about the people. Choose your advisor carefully and step back.

There’s nothing worse than being a bit stressed because you aren’t sure the deal is right / the fees are too high / the investment strategy is t correct etc.

Im sure you are similar - I have expertise in what I and my company do. So I focus on that and let my advisors focus on my pensions / investments etc.

And finally. I’ve saved a small bit on charges before and lost heavily in the longer run.

To me - it’s about the outcomes. And everyone is allowed to make a living. If they are advising you properly and you are making money , who cares if they are getting a few quid too.

Best of luck.

I think it would be useful if you were able to post the answers to the following questions: -
  • How much in Euro is the advisor getting paid for setting up the plan for you?
  • Are you happy with why the particular product, company and fund are being recommended to you? Were you shown alternative possibilities?
  • If the adviser is being paid an ongoing or trail commission, what are they proposing to do for it? How much is it in euros?
It's difficult to get a meaningful answer to the question of whether or not an advisor charge is reasonable without knowing how much work has gone into it. Here on Askaboutmoney.com, execution-only services are popular - you get no advice, do all the research yourself and just want the broker to execute your instructions. Or maybe you're in receipt of advice - advice on how a pension contribution fits into your overall financial position, what pension product is most suitable for you - Master Trust, PRSA or Personal Pension - and why, which provider to choose and why, what level of contribution, which fund is suitable for your circumstances and risk profile etc. etc. Advice involves more work than execution-only and so if you're paying by way of commission, this would usually be reflected in higher charges.

Back