exchange rates

ali1971

Hi, I have bought some UK shares lately in sterling. However when I purchase them it always seems the stockbrokers exchange rate is 2% lower than that on websites such as xe.com at the time of buying. Is this normal?

Hi, I have bought some UK shares lately in sterling. However when I purchase them it always seems the stockbrokers exchange rate is 2% lower than that on websites such as xe.com at the time of buying. Is this normal?

Absolutely - it's a margin that all providers of foreign exchange take. It can vary between 0.001% (large corporate transaction with a Bank) and as high as 10% (some 24hour tourist booths). Paypal for example take approx 3-4% margin so you are better off paying with your credit card and taking your bank's exchange rate on your credit card bill.

I'd say ali1971 would be better off paying via currency.ie/transfermate....much better rate than banks will offer

You'll get a better rate from currency.ie but why dont you just call your broker and currency.ie to find out. Issue with your broker is that they probably wont give you a rate until your funds have landed with them and then its too late

Back