Exchange enabled 4 broadband but no sign of a line upgrade

KimWilde

Hello,
For sometime now, our exchange (Rush, co. Dublin) has been enabled for broadband. However, as we live off the beaten track, our line is probably many years old - dial up currently gives us 14.4bps. I have contacted Eircom several times but they can give us no indication as to when our lines will be enabled for broadband. ''We are upgrading all the time... blah blah blah..''

Wireless has yet to be established close enough for a line of sight. Satellite is too expensive and erratic, I understand.

My qn is: Is there any of finding out from Eircom how far down the upgrading line we are? If ever.

We are in exactly the same position also in north county dublin. Head is wrecked trying to get broadband. We would MAYBE consider satalite, but don't want to if 6 months later, we get a wireless or cable connection. Anyone out there got inside info???

Have you looked at Magnet Networks? An existing phone line is required, not sure if it has to be upgraded. Also, take a look at Clearwire (wireless).

Satellite isn't really suitable for web browsing and other 'interactive' or 'realtime' applications.

This is because of the latency (delay) involved in transmitting the signal up to the sat and then back down again. This delay becomes significant when you click on something and expect an almost immediate response. On a good day you would expect a round-trip time of .7 or .8 of a second (ignoring the actual application processing time) as against .1 to .2 with the likes of broadband or dial-up.

This becomes a little aggravating when you have to wait almost a second for every page to load. It doesn't affect mail delivery because typically you click on send/receive and wait anyway.

z

Magnet sounded like they could get BB to us without any problems but instead of getting a phonecall to say that there would be a salesman around, I get an email saying they can't do it for us but would be in touch with developments. Basically, its the same story with all of them.
All I'm looking for is a simple straightforward explanation of why I can't get fixed line BB into the house. I'm on an exchange that is enabled but for some reason, my line isn't suitable.
Eircom had one suggestion: That I pay €150 for a new line to be installed but I won't know if it will work until after it is done!!!
I've heard on the grapevine that if your line was faulty, Eircom have to replace it if they can't find the fault. This way, the new line could be BB enabled. Anyone heard of this or its like before?
Any thoughts or simple explanations out there?