Excellent skiing locations for end of December

P

pugsy

Hi All,

I'm organising a ski trip for round the mid to end of December and was wondering what the best locations would be for around this time.

I have heard of Livigno etc but that around Jan is the best time to hit that place.

Can anyone recommend any savage locations to hit? I have heard that Sweden and Norway at that time has some serious snow but on the other hand is extremely pricey.

If anyone has gone skiing around the mid to late December I would be grateful to know what place they went to?

P.S - A decent nightlife in the area has to be a prerequisite!!

Cheers

hi pugsy have gone away skiing for new years a few times once to livigno, 6 foot dumps mad resort brilliant, went to austria another year no snow, after that we don't book now until the new year as we got caught twice with bad snow as in skiing on grass! torture. some of the french resorts with a glacier are some what snow sure, think some have good nightlife too haven't been myself though. If you can push back you dates at all for a drinking ski holiday livigno is excellent bus journey a killer but for the session its great. Killington in the us is a fab resort ski wise, americans don't drink as much as europeans but had some damn good bars and its not that expensive to get there anymore. have a ball but if you can push back do we don't book ours anymore until January and try hit somewhere in february.

mid to end December is early in the season - so you have to find somewhere with a glacier nearby - Zell am See in Austria is a good party town and is on the same ski pass as the glacier Kaprun. St. Anton is the ultimate Austrian party town but not sure of snow at that time of year- we were in nearby Kitzbuehel last New Year and there was little or no snow. Check out for a good source of all things skiing - you'll get some good info there

Hey Pc7 and doogo,

Sorry for the late repley but been extremely busy!

Cheers for the info and insight on on your previous ventures but my only problem is that we are limited in our travel times and mid december to the end of december is the only times when we can go.

I knwo its early and we dont want to get burned with no snow or doing some grass skiing!. I had heard about austria alright but was thinking maybe norway or sweden at this time of year would have cnow as its really northerly and theres glaciers about.

Also there was an artcile in the sunday indo 2 weeks about norway skiing also so was wondering has anyone been there and if so could they elaborate on their trip?

Aslo any other decent locations with guarnteed snow for mid to end of dec???

Pugsy, try Slovenia, Bosnia or Serbia. You'll be guaranteed snow at that time of year, it's cheap and apres ski will be a laugh. (I've been to spots in each of the countries and the best was Bosnia, great runs, cheap, good services and a lot to do and see away from the slopes).

Pugsy,
Austria has had a good start to the season - if you are flexible about accomodation, i'd go ahead and book a flight to any of the airports close to the Austrian Alps (Munich, Salzburg, Freidrichshafen, Zurich to name the ones that I can think of (www.j2ski.com will have more)), hire a car so that you can choose your resort at the last minute, keep an eye on the snow patterns and bob's your uncle - make a last minute accom booking - unless you are travelling the week between Crimbo and New Year, it will be low season in Austria (and most other ski resorts) so accom should be plentiful and reasonable

hope this helps

Doogo,

Cheers for the sound advice which could be a winner. Wil get onto that and get it sorted!

Snow has come early for a lot of resorts in Europe so its looks like its going to be a great season after last years 'the end is nigh / global warming' lark.

I've been to Livigno, the transfer time is a pain, about 5 hours. The town is lovely, drink is cheap (no tax, whey hey :D ) but the nightlife wasn't brill.

Been to Bulgaria but again its pretty low key on the apres ski side.

Favourite place is Soll in Austria, best apres ski I have come across and huge number of runs.

Heading to Kaprun this year for a change, snow coverage is excellent already so fingers crossed it stays that way...

Back