Excel - can I permenently have a file location on a sheet

sam h

I want to add on a file location to print out on all sheets as I do most of the excel work, but others often need to access. (eg c:\data\jan2010\monday18
Can anyone tell me how to do this and is it possible to have this print out on all files (without having to do it each time) ?

I've had a look on the Excel help but can find what I need & I have to print out a doc with this.

Thanks

Hi

If you go to print preview, click on the setup button and select the Header/Footer tab. Then click on the Custom Footer button to get options that can be added to the footer of each page. The button second from right (little excel logo) will add the file name or you can just type text i.e the file location into any of the boxes

Thank you fandango - I managed to do that on the sheet I was working on, I did do it before, ages ago, but for the life of me couldn;t recall how!

- BUT, do you know a way I can have this automatically on every excel sheet I do. I work term time so I'm not always here and my boss is not too hot on IT....it would help alot to find files

Thanks

Based on the assumption that you can now do this on a single workbook, you need to create a new template that you will use in future.....

1. Open a blank workbook and without putting anything into any of the cells, go to File, Page Setup and set up the footer as before.

2. Click ok to get back to your workbook and then go to File, Save As and save this as a new template *.xlt Call it something fairly generic but yet meaningful - don't reference a specific date or function that it will be used for.

3. Close Excel and go to wherever you have saved the tempalte to. Double click on the template and it will open a blank workbook with the footer details already populated. You can then save this as you would normally save a spreadsheet i.e use the *.xls file type.

4. In order to have the footer included, you should always use this template as the starting point for a new spreadsheet.

That should do it for you.

That all make perfect sense!!

Used to use fairly advanced excel sheets & was able to do loads of complex stuff and formulae....but that was in a former life about 12 years ago & never really used templates as each sheet was so different.
Plus there used to be other people around to double check....on my tod now, so thanks again!!

Back