Exceeding your credit card limit

Hi guys

I was wondering if somebody could answer a question for me. I have a limit of €500 on my credit card and I have for the first time in my life gone over the limit. I put a charge of €50 on it on Tuesday evening with brought it to about €498 but the bank have since incurred an interest charge of approx €3 which brings it just above my limit. I just paid off €100 so it will come back down again but I was wondering can the bank charge me for going above my limit even though it was a bank charge that put it up above the limit??

Any help would be appreicated.

It's common practice in banking to apply a surcharge when you go over your agreed limit.

As to the argument that it was the bank that put you over ? Well, another perspective is that you drove the o/s balance up to close to the limit and you created the reason for the interest charge.

You could debate it with the bank so that they waive the surcharge (if any), but I would write it off to experience.

It's common practice in banking to apply a surcharge when you go over your agreed limit.

As to the argument that it was the bank that put you over ? Well, another perspective is that you drove the o/s balance up to close to the limit and you created the reason for the interest charge.

You could debate it with the bank so that they waive the surcharge (if any), but I would write it off to experience.

Thanks for the quick reply. To be honest I thought as much but just wanted to double check.

Thanks again

Just be careful as some card companies such as MBNA will hold that against you in the future. You might as well argue the toss with them.

They always used to be perfectly happy about it and would just shove your limit up another couple of hundred euro.

I know AIB and MBNA only impose a charge if you finish the month (account month , not calender) over limit

I think MBNA charge if you go over at any point. I have been stung by that before where I have gone over for 2 days whilst waiting for a payment to show up on my account.

Back