bertson

Hi
Would anyone have advise on the name of
a) evergreen hedge, grow to about 8-10 feet
b) evergreen tree (not fir) that grows to about 15ft

Thanks
B

CM hope you are joking, those trees are a blight on the countryside.:mad:
Contact any decent garden centre for advice.

I am not joking. The original poster asked a question and I have them a (partial) straight answer. Please take rants about this stuff to Letting Off Steam and keep this thread on topic.

Hi
Would anyone have advise on the name of
a) evergreen hedge, grow to about 8-10 feet
b) evergreen tree (not fir) that grows to about 15ft

Thanks
B
Are you looking for suggestions or trying to identify existing plants?

Laurel if you've plenty of room. Privet...a bit old fashioned now but grows very quickly. Photinia, really a shrub but looks lovely when planted as a hedge. It get bright red new growth in Spring? Did you want flowering or non flowering?

Leylandii also makes a very good hedge if you have room and keep it well trimmed. Clubman is not too far off the mark here. There are others, let me have a think.;)

Leylandii Davidii are now illegal as an invasive and destructive thug as far as I know.

Good old-fashioned box is a wonderful and much-undervalued hedge, evergreen, disease-resistant, shade-tolerant, non-invasive, easy to prune, great home for nesting birds and many bugs and spiders.

I can vouch for both griselinia and laurel as being easy to manage evergreen hedges. I only trim once a year , in October, and other than that don't go near either of them. In the early stages of growth ( first few years ) I use to spray around the bases of the plants with Roundup . Both hedges are now about eight foot tall and provide excellent cover.

- cupresso cyparis leylandii are now not allowed in certain parts/ domestic/ housing in england
- leylandii davidii? viburnum davidii is more ground cover
- escallonia: macrantahs = no;
- escallonia: apple blossom = yes
- photinia red robin = maybe; but can go very woody & grow well over 8'
- laurel; i assume prunus laurocerasus; same as above
- privot; ligustrum ovalifolium aurea [variegata] - not a chance
- grisilina litoralis - as above
- box; buxus semprevirens - too slow growing and therefore too expensive

no offence to any of the suggestions but - if you like cutting hedges regularly and getting a new black and decker every fathers day then thats fine - other than that - stay well away.

try viburnum opulus roseum - little bit more adventurous!
fargesia - to go a little italian
fagus sylvatica - to go a little native

a long list but depends on what you want
- how much you want to spend
- how long you want to spend in the garden
- area you live in
- size of perimeter

best of luck
oirish

- cupresso cyparis leylandii are now not allowed in certain parts/ domestic/ housing in england
- box; buxus semprevirens - too slow growing and therefore too expensive

no offence to any of the suggestions but - if you like cutting hedges regularly and getting a new black and decker every fathers day then thats fine - other than that - stay well away.
oirish

Confusing and conflicting info. there Oirish imo. My experiences of both laurel and grisilinia are nothing but positive - I only trim them once a year and in ten years I have only ever bought one electric shears - don't know where you are coming from tbh.

Griselinia Littoralis being the most common variety -
defined as used in town gardens and near the coast. Very hardy; frequently used as a hedging plant and often clipped like a privet.
Can grow to make a magnificent tall shrub up to 10m.
Flowers are small and relatively inconspicuous; male and female flowers are produced on separate trees. Mixed plantings will produce plentiful seed which germinates readily.

Prunus laurocerasus
An evergreen Shrub growing to 6m by 10m at a medium rate. It is in leaf all year, in flower from April to June, and the seeds ripen in September. The flowers are hermaphrodite (has both male and female organs) and are pollinated by Bees, Lepidoptera (Moths & Butterflies). It is noted for attracting wildlife.
The plant prefers light (sandy), medium (loamy) and heavy (clay) soils, requires well-drained soil and can grow in heavy clay soil. The plant prefers acid, neutral and basic (alkaline) soils. It can grow in full shade (deep woodland) semi-shade (light woodland) or no shade. It requires moist soil. The plant can tolerates strong winds but not maritime exposure. It can tolerate atmospheric pollution.

this is not my opinion.
this is the facts of an international database for plants. However as a qualified horticulturist, a past teacher of the subject and now a consultant and writer - it is possible for one garden to have different experiences of plants.

In this case the gemtleman/ lady wished for a plant/ shrub to grow no more than 8- 10' [quote: evergreen hedge, grow to about 8-10 feet] and 10 metres is possible within both of these species. Although hedge cutting equipment can be dependent on the length of the hedge - If the sense of humour be taken in jest regarding the cutters I dont really believe my botanical information [not my opinion] is conflicting information.

cheers
oirish

ps re: round-up - [again not my opinion although your experiences were good etc] a non selectiive translocated herbicide which should not penetrate brown growth; so to spray to the base of the plantmay be allowed - however if the growth is green [new bare root plant/ recently repotted sapling/ cutting etc /wounded at the base or roots slightly exposed at the surface then growth may may be affected/ plant becomes necrotic/ die.

Oirish I found your original post in this thread confusing because in your comments re several hedges you said

" - cupresso cyparis leylandii are now not allowed in certain parts/ domestic/ housing in england
- box; buxus semprevirens - too slow growing and therefore too expensive "

.....so for laurel and grisilinia you say " as above " yet for the hedges above them in your list your recommendations range from a " yes " to a " no " to a " maybe ". For escallonia ( apple blossom ) you give a " yes" and then you go on to say " no offence to any of the suggestions but - if you like cutting hedges regularly and getting a new black and decker every fathers day then thats fine - other than that - stay well away." ( highlighted by me ) :confused:. As regards the new Black and Decker every fathers day I took that to mean that the hedges were high maintenance in relation to trimming ( ie you'd need a new shears every year ) which is not my experience with laurel or grisilinia though I have no doubt that if I didn't trim them once a year they would grow to the heights you describe.
One of your recommendations at the end of your first post is " fagus sylvatica " or beech, which, while it retains it's dried leaves for most of the winter, it is not an evergreen and is not classed as such afaik.

The last few posts seem to illustrate the quandry that landscapers and garden designers often face when trying to match a hedging variety to a home-owners needs, wants and maintenance levels.
I call it the "Hedge balancing act"
I have a post with images about it on my site.
If the mods don't mind here is the post.... [broken link removed]

I hope it helps.

Oirish I found your original post in this thread confusing because in your comments re several hedges you said

" - cupresso cyparis leylandii are now not allowed in certain parts/ domestic/ housing in england
- box; buxus semprevirens - too slow growing and therefore too expensive "

.....so for laurel and grisilinia you say " as above " yet for the hedges above them in your list your recommendations range from a " yes " to a " no " to a " maybe ". For escallonia ( apple blossom ) you give a " yes" and then you go on to say " no offence to any of the suggestions but - if you like cutting hedges regularly and getting a new black and decker every fathers day then thats fine - other than that - stay well away." ( highlighted by me ) :confused:. As regards the new Black and Decker every fathers day I took that to mean that the hedges were high maintenance in relation to trimming ( ie you'd need a new shears every year ) which is not my experience with laurel or grisilinia though I have no doubt that if I didn't trim them once a year they would grow to the heights you describe.
One of your recommendations at the end of your first post is " fagus sylvatica " or beech, which, while it retains it's dried leaves for most of the winter, it is not an evergreen and is not classed as such afaik.

you mean to say

viburnum opulus roseum - deciduous
fargesia - evergreen
fagus sylvatica - semi deciduous [!??!]

one for everyones taste i suppose?!!!

i should really have given full plant descriptions with these too i suppose. the 'above' piece you refer to as confusing simply just means 'just above' rather than 'all of the above' - i hope that helps you.
Re any other confusion; really I have given only a horticultural solution rather than my opinion/ what i would like/ think he should have - one really should not take offence[or a fence?!!] so easily [i like that joke! - no offence... again]

And as with ask about - if the plant species not be suitable for whatever horticultural reason then the person has an option to not take or ask for another option/ solution. If someone else does not enjoy my answer then thats fine but it does not make it horticulturally incorrect.

as my favourite t-shirt says:
vegans like tree stakes!

i can post you one if you'd like.

take care
oirish

Back