Ever think of hopping on a motorbike?, if so get your learner permit now

Betsy Og

For anyone that ever considered it, you may or may not have noticed new rules that say, from December on, new learner permit holders will have to do 15 hours formal professional training. see rsa.ie

Now some professional training is of course recommended, but 15 hours is likely to be cost prohibitve, so act now if you might ever want to try it.

The only downside is having to sit the theory test (even if expernienced driver with full car licence), unless you did one lately for a car learner permit, in order to get the bike permit.

It's actually 16 hours of training. And this could cost well into the hundreds for many potential bikers. The fact that the new rules are being brought in in December for bikes and April for cars amazes me. Also, I don't believe any road rules/laws should be restricted to new drivers, everyone should have to adhere to the same rules.

And considering driving a bike is completely different to driving a car it makes sense that you should have to sit a theory test.

Also, to any apsiring bikers honda are jumping on a good thing (influx of people sitting test before new rules) and are doing a great deal, 125 bike, aon insurance (best bike insurer), gear, lock all for 2899, obviously t&c apply one of which i think is you need to be 25 but it's worth looking at if you've put off getting on two wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
And considering driving a bike is completely different to driving a car it makes sense that you should have to sit a theory test.

The theory test is about 95% the same, theres maybe 5 bike questions so it dunno about the usefulness of the theory test to experienced car drivers.

I've sat both and there was more than a few pointed differences. Just because you're an "experienced" driver it shouldn't exempt you from anything.

I've a full motorbike licence but have never driven one. Got one of the famous cowboy licences in the backlog of 1979 after 2 provisionals. Often thought of trying a bike just to see what it like. Recently heard of a guy in Waterford who does one day bike courses and he supplies the bike. Might be a worthwhile Christmas or birthday pressie sometime.

That's probably Richard Thompson you're thinking of Graham. He's brilliant, well worth the money. Anyone I know on bikes did it through him.

16 hours would be more like money well spent rather than cost prohibitive.
If you can't afford the lessons, you can't afford the bike.

I'm all for more lessons, more training for all road users regardless of what type of licence they have or when they got their licence.

I'm all for more lessons, more training for all road users regardless of what type of licence they have or when they got their licence.

Which would be fine except they can't. It's just the way of the world, they want to tighten up on the standard of education for drivers (how is that a bad thing?) but they can't suddenly turn around and tell all those with valid licences that it's no longer valid. It's like suddenly saying the degree you did 10 years ago is no longer valid because we changed the syllabus.

I'd have had no problem if these new rules had come in when I was learning, getting a licence is seen as too much akin to a rite of passage rather than the responsibility it is. For too long the standard has been inadequate, they're changing that, there has to be a cut off and this is it.

Its all about degree, would 8 hours training have been enough? - probably. Rider safety is primarily about attitude, I think you'd have sufficient instruction on the basic skills in 8 hours and a bit of reading.

So anyway, if you're a cautious driver/rider then get the permit now, if you're a budding lunatic dont go at all or at least wait until December ;).

That's probably Richard Thompson you're thinking of Graham. He's brilliant, well worth the money. Anyone I know on bikes did it through him.

Probably is, the guy I was speaking with didn't give his name but said he was brilliant, 8 hours tuition and bike for €300 and a cert at end to give to insurance which apparently helps on insurance. Something to do next summer maybe.

Yep, that's Richard alright, top man.

I just don't understand how they expect to make the roads safer by introducing rules for new drivers only, additional penalty points etc, the majority of the people on the roads are not new drivers, it would make sense to me to introduce re-testing of some form for all drivers.

Retesting existing drivers? Are ya mad?! I have my license, I can drive, I already proved that. I haven't forgotten, why should I have to do it again. Would you like to have to be re interviewed for your job every 2 years?

I'm not questioning you username, I'm questioning the behaviour of all Irish motorists.

The fact is that there is a huge number of accidents and fatalities on our roads and given that the majority of road users are existing drivers, not new drivers then re-testing all drivers needs to be looked at. There are people on the roads now that wouldn't pass their driving tests if they had to resit them so why are they still on the road endangering lives? You say you "haven't forgotten", there is evidence that suggests a lot of drivers have.

And considering most people have an annual review of their work performance (I know I do, as does everyone I work with) then technically people are re-interviewed for their jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just using myself as an example. True people do have reviews, but unless you have committed some major misdemeanor its unlikely you'll lose your job on the spot. Contrast that with having no accidents in your car but having to do a retest anyway and failing, possibly due to one of the many stupid reasons people fail driving tests e.g. having to look in your mirrors more often than the road ahead. IMHO its unworkable to expect 100s of thousands of people to resit a test each year.

Yes and unless you've killed someone on Irish roads it's unlikely that your ability to drive your car responsibly will be called into question, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not saying resit a test each year, maybe every 5 years and passing the test should reflect on their insurance.

There are no stupid reasons for failing a driving test, the reason why the driving test is set out in such a format is because that's the way you should drive, simple as that.

Anyway, this has gone completely off topic so I'm out.

Back