Ever see cider presented in a 'wine bottle'?

Betsy Og

Only recent started drinking the occasional cider - not in any great quantities - usually with a meal. I think it could be a good wine substitute - cheaper, a lot less alcohol etc. However its not the most stylishy presented.

However if it looked like a wine bottle people would hardly notice the difference between it and white wine (esp that Libfraumilch stuff). In the drive to reduce consumption, and hangovers!!, could this be a plan? Has anyone ever seen it in a 'wine bottle'?

Why not wrap it in a paper bag. Most people will think it's wine then!

a lot less alcohol etc.

Betsy, I think you need to educate yourself on the potency of Cider. Did you ever ask yourself why so many teenagers drink large portions of cider ?? It's certainly not for the lemonade brigade !!

I have bought cider in a wine-type bottle from Marks & Spencer. But it is stronger, and won't keep if you don't finish the bottle. Fine if you have other people sharing your meal.

Some german Rieslings are not very high in alcohol content, 7-8%.
It might be an alternative if you want to reduce your alcohol intake.

Betsy, I think you need to educate yourself on the potency of Cider. Did you ever ask yourself why so many teenagers drink large portions of cider ?? It's certainly not for the lemonade brigade !!

Well I've only drank Bulmers and a cheap Aldi version, both about 4.5% or so. Re teenagers, if you skull enough of anything it will make you drunk, I guess they like the taste (bit more palatable than warm beer). Cider used to be in convenient 2 ltr plastic bottles and could be bought "strong", usually from England, like Linden Village.

Now apart from the "lunatic soup" and 'bottle of bate the wife' stigma, alcohol is alcohol, 4.5% is a lot less than 13.5%. Maybe when you get drunk on it it does more to you - but I'd say thats a personal thing, my whole thing is not to get drunk in the first place.

The quantity is the difference. A wine bottle is 75cl, a can and a half in volume terms. While I'm no big drinker even I think I could manage a can and a half of cider without being 3 sheets to the wind. Whereas if I have a bottle of wine I'll feel some effect. The big test is will you sip it like wine, or given the lower percentage will you horse through it in the knowledge its not so strong. With a meal though, and a 'wine bottle' and wine glass I think I'd sip away - have done so at home with my classy can!!

Looks the part, and at 7% I suppose its a reasonable compromise.

What Ireland needs is a few BYO restaurants (popular in Oz) - I could fill up a white wine bottle with some supermarket cider cans!!! Eddie Hobbs would be proud.

Enjoyed some lovely Normandy cider over the last few weeks. Comes in 4.5% (brut) or even 2% (doux) - both in champagne style bottles. Hangover free dining & dead cheap too. Would be great if it took off over here.