Euros 24.

Isn't that the reason for the last round of games been played at the same time , to stop teams playing for a draw.
Draws might get a team through but finishing top gets a 'better' next round game than finishing second or third..
The match that lead to the change iirc that was West Germany beating Austria 1-0 at 1982 World Cup, thereby ensuring both teams went through at the expense of Algeria aka "The Disgrace of Gijon" as the teams were so blatant about it in second half.
Ireland v Netherlands in Italia '90, hearing England were beating Egypt 1-0 and a draw was enough to send both teams through, dialled down the intensity.

With potentially three teams getting out of a group now, you have more situations where a draw sends a team through, and there's no real advantage to being 2nd over 3rd.

Agreed. I remember those games in particular. I can't recall any games this year where both teams were playing for a draw though......Most of the games were just boring....

Agreed. I remember those games in particular. I can't recall any games this year where both teams were playing for a draw though......Most of the games were just boring....
Yeah, it didn't seem to be a 'truce'. It was more not pushing for a win as a draw was enough, cautious approach.

Surely a draw is better than a loss.
Depends on how you view the objective of the game. If you view the objective of the game as scoring goals, then a scoreless draw means the objective wasn't achieved.

All matches would open with a 1-1 score line after about 1 minute.
They may be happy with a point but once they take the lead, they'd probably prefer to keep it.

Other things like reducing the time (maybe 30 mins each half), stop the clock when the ball isn't in play to cut out the time wasting nonsense, I'd include stopping it if the ball is in the keepers hands as no one else can play it.

They may be happy with a point but once they take the lead, they'd probably prefer to keep it.
Game theory suggests that if a result is undesirable to both antagonists then they will collude to avoid it. I agree an element of trust is needed for the collusion. But just as kicking out of play because an opponent is on the ground results in getting the ball back then you only get away with breaking that convention once. Same if you don't respond to the opposite goalkeeper having a cigarette when the starting whistle is blown.
Other things like reducing the time (maybe 30 mins each half), stop the clock when the ball isn't in play to cut out the time wasting nonsense, I'd include stopping it if the ball is in the keepers hands as no one else can play it.
Now I do agree to those stopping the clock rules. I remember a GAA fan sneering at soccer, calling it a spoilers game. And for sure kicking the ball out seems to be the main defence tactic. Maybe a stiffer penalty for putting the ball out - lose 10 yards or even a free kick. A corner should be a penalty kick but taken from the corner of the penalty box.

I think there were studies done of games, and the ball was in play for an average of 57 minutes, so stopping the clock and have 2 x 30 minutes would work out similar.

What a game !
Two fine goals and the other a thing of beauty from a sixteen year old .
The passing and movement from both sides was great to see .
Rodri and Nacho were superb .
The beautiful game is alive and well .

What a game !
Two fine goals and the other a thing of beauty from a sixteen year old .
The passing and movement from both sides was great to see .
Rodri and Nacho were superb .
The beautiful game is alive and well .
It was a great game. One of only a few so far but it was a great watch.

And now for tonight ...

Funnily enough, I think it might be a good game.

Kiss of death perhaps!

Probably. But surely the English have to play one decent game........one would hope . But if it goes to penalties, fingers crossed, sorry , I mean who knows
To hell with our new found maturity
Hon the Dutch !

So England v Spain. England have players who can score goals out of nowhere but Spain in the tougher side of the draw have looked more potent. I would put Spain as favourites to win.