Europe Travel

OBRIENT

I am planning to travel around europe for 2 weeks in september. I have already booked a oneay ticket to Amsterdam. My plan was to then travel to Berin&back to spain. My preferred travel option would be by train. I have tried to book online in advance with rauileurope.co.uk but have had no joy. I know about the interailpass but this is only suitable if you choose certain zones& if you chose the multitrip,you really need to at least travelling for a month or more.

Thank You

Holland, Germany and Spain strikes me as being a bit ambitious for two weeks. You'll end up spending too much time travelling.

Personally, I'd go for places nearer to Germany - Austria and Poland, perhaps rather than traipsing all the way down to Spain.

First of all I agree with europhile, you don't want to spend most of your time in a train. Another tip : go to Bruxelles, friendly people, great food and even better beer.
If you travel to Amsterdam and want to go to Berlin by train, there is no need for pre booking, unless you want to have a certain seat on a very fancy train; when you want to take the train you go to station and ask for a ticket to Berlin.Train services in Holland/Germany are a little more frequent than Ireland due to the number of people travelling by train.

Spain would be a step too far for a short enjoyable break. From Amsterdam you could spin down (even bussing) to Cologne (cheap and really nice), down to some of the southern cities (Frankfurt, Munich), into Austria (Graz, Vienna, Salzburg - one or two from them would be sweet) and from Vienna you could have a look see into Prague, then fly back out of one of the aforementioned cities. Get your train tickets/bus as you go, esp check out the long distance opportunities with the weekend/night tickets from German rail:
www.bahn.de they have a great info part in english.

I did an overnight from Berlin to Paris once and another from Paris to Madrid (but not in the same trip), I think they were each about 8 hours at the time. Try , you can book online within France certainly, not sure though if you're starting in Berlin. I'd agree that Amsterdam-Berlin wouldn't need to be booked in advance. Enjoy the trip, train travel is great and even if only for 2 weeks it's worth it to wake up in a new country. Watch your belongings on overnight trains though, plenty of pickpockets on the prowl!!

Back