Euro 2008 Draw

IrishGunner

Well dont think we are going to Qualify but plenty of Beer to drink in Prague and hopefully Munich :D

Group D: Czech Republic, Germany, Slovakia, Ireland, Wales, Cyprus, San Marino

Have to keep an eye on when they announce the fixtures and straight on the Ryanair and Aer Lingus websites

Thoughts ?

Yup, think it will be difficult to qualify, but in days gone past, we would have fancied our chances.

At least we didn't get Scotlands draw:
France
Italy
Ukraine
SCOTLAND
Lithuania
Georgia
Faroe Islands

Ouch!!!

The Czechs aren't the strongest first seeds, a lot of their players are getting on a bit, and I don't think much of Germany.

Having said that, I still don't think we'll qualify.

Group A: Portugal, Poland, Serbia & Montenegro, Belgium, Finland, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan

I can't imagine the Portugese fans looking forward to those away trips ;) .

I'd say that Stan is a happy man. Its a tough group, if we qualify he is a hero. If we don't then no one will blame him or Robbo (unless we get hammered by "lesser" teams). Either way he ends up getting good experience for the world cup campaign.

C

Tough group but czechs arent as strong going forward as they used to be and have lost Nedved. Germans looked handy in that tournament last summer but they dont have many big names. Slovaks are fairly handy I'd say they gave England awful problems two or three years ago. Wales will be awkward and Cyprus, quite frankly any top eircom league team would beat them. Englands group is handy and Scotland got an awful draw, especially Italy and the Ukraine, France arent that great as we saw ourselves

Dont think ireland will qualify.......but not the worst group and should provide a good platform for Stan to have a proper crack off qualifying for the World Cup.

However the most interesting thing i draw from the whole thing is this talk of a windfall for the FAI. Yeah right, they will p*** it down the drain like all the other windfalls since Euro 88......

Yeah, STAN THE MAN with the tan (well, actually NO TAN)...and no experience either.
Can I ask a simple question?....did John Aldridge p*** off someone in the FAI? Why did they choose a 'yes' man with very little experience(ehhhr...make that NO experience)... to lead the national team?

A.Partridge said:
Yeah, STAN THE MAN with the tan (well, actually NO TAN)...and no experience either.
Can I ask a simple question?....did John Aldridge p*** off someone in the FAI? Why did they choose a 'yes' man with very little experience(ehhhr...make that NO experience)... to lead the national team?

As an international player he is our most experienced. Granted on the manegerial side he's a bit green but when you have someone of the likes of BR holding his hand then his naevety isn't an issue. What he will bring to the table is stability, ruggedness, passion AND experience. All of which we lacked considerably for most of the previous campaign.

As regards qualifying, I think we have a fair opportunity, considering the pool. Like the last qualifyers there's more than a fair chance that the top 3 teams are going to take points off each other and although our expectations are probably unrealistically low at the moment (like they were unrealistically high after 2002) that too is a positive point.

My only worry is that we may not have enough friendlies to prepare and blood. If there was somekinda mickey mouse tournament like the one Mick Mack had in the states after he took the reigns over from Jack it would be ideal.

Anyways it'll be a doddle playing two half countries in the Czeck Republic and Slovakia just like the English having it easy beating a half country on their way to winning the World Cup.:D

BTW Does anyone have an idea where the games in the Czech Republic and Germany are gonna be held. Is Frankfurt odds on?

Last edited:
WarrenBuffet said:
However the most interesting thing i draw from the whole thing is this talk of a windfall for the FAI. Yeah right, they will p*** it down the drain like all the other windfalls since Euro 88......

I predict the FAI will get dizzy with the thoughts of the money, come up with some ridiculous "package" for selling tickets to croke park & then be surprised when they come along way short of selling 80,000 of them...

My only worry is that we may not have enough friendlies to prepare and blood. If there was somekinda mickey mouse tournament like the one Mick Mack had in the states after he took the reigns over from Jack it would be ideal.

Anyways it'll be a doddle playing two half countries in the Czeck Republic and Slovakia just like the English having it easy beating a half country on their way to winning the World Cup.:D

BTW Does anyone have an idea where the games in the Czech Republic and Germany are gonna be held. Is Frankfurt odds on?[/quote]

Yeah a tournament like that would be a good thing alright maybe they'll get something organised, on the oterh point I assume the czech match will be in prague so tickets will be at a premium (I'd say half the country will want to go) and Germany match could be anywhere Munich would be good as there might be a chance to get tickets!

Gunnerbar said:
As regards qualifying, I think we have a fair opportunity, considering the pool. Like the last qualifyers there's more than a fair chance that the top 3 teams are going to take points off each other and although our expectations are probably unrealistically low at the moment (like they were unrealistically high after 2002) that too is a positive point.

Obviously Paddypower doesn't agree betting 9/2 against us qualifying and if you really fancy a long shot it's 80/1 against Stan lifting the trophy. Think I'll stick to the Euromillions draw.

Roy

Regarding who actually plays, my team

Given (obviously!)
J. O'Brien
Dunne
O'Shea/A. O' Brien
Finnan
Miller/Elliot
S. Reid/O'Shea
Ireland
Duff
Keane
Elliot/Doyle

Think our biggest problems are definitely centre back and centre midfield. Would be great if Kevin Nolan would give up on the Ingerland dream.

Back