EU non-UCITS ETFs that are subject to CGT regime?

Paul F

Hi,

I have read in [broken link removed] that there are some EU non-UCITS ETFs that Revenue are willing to accept as being subject to the CGT and income tax regime (as opposed to exit tax).

Does anybody have examples of these ETFs, and are they available for purchase by Irish retail investors?

Thanks,
Paul

Yes , it’s perfectly possible and I’ve built 3 solutions for retail investors which achieve the desired effect.

However, they are not suitable for DIY investors and the minimum investment is €100k

Thanks Marc.

If I understand correctly, your particular offering has a minimum investment of €100k. But are there any quoted ETFs of this type that DIY investors can buy "directly" (through an execution-only broker) in small amounts?

Why would the ETF suppliers be bothered to create a complicated investment structure that can only be sold in Ireland when the rest of the EU's 400m or so investors are happy to use standard ETFs.

If the Irish government on behalf of the Irish people deem it to be OK to tax ETFs (and Insurance funds) on a ridiculous basis, then so be it. If my memory serves me right, the Exit Tax regime was/is a sop to the Insurance and Financial Industry in Ireland

@jpd I'm just trying to understand if there are any EU non-UCITS ETFs that are available for purchase by Irish retail investors. Or is it legally impossible for such a product to exist?

Yes , it’s perfectly possible and I’ve built 3 solutions for retail investors which achieve the desired effect.

However, they are not suitable for DIY investors and the minimum investment is €100k

Are these products advertised somewhere?

As I understood it, if you are an EU resident, only UCITS funds are available to purchase as a retail investor?

@jpd I'm just trying to understand if there are any EU non-UCITS ETFs that are available for purchase by Irish retail investors. Or is it legally impossible for such a product to exist?
In reality, I don't believe there are any EU-domiciled, non-UCITS ETFs.

Back