etf

pattt

At present I am trying to educate myself regarding stockmarket.I am looking at etf's.I notice that some of these are listed on London and Newyork stock exchanges and priced in pounds and dollars.Which currency is the correct one,does it depend on where the fund is held,in the case I am looking at it is held in Dublin(ishares),does it matter which currency you buy in,if you are starting with euros and hopefully when sold converting back to euros?

I notice that some of these are listed on London and Newyork stock exchanges and priced in pounds and dollars.Which currency is the correct one,does it depend on where the fund is held,in the case I am looking at it is held in Dublin(ishares),does it matter which currency you buy in,if you are starting with euros and hopefully when sold converting back to euros?
ETFs are for the most part just index funds, so they will hold underlying shares in the companies the ETF covers. So you're not, as some people seem to think, just buying an "index"/number, you're buying parts of companies. From a cost point of view (stockbroker charges) it may be cheaper to buy ETFs that are listed in London, and there seems to be tax advantages (see previous discussions) as the iShares in London are Irish UCITS - Revenue seem confused when I ask them to clarify. The currency effect should be the same as if you bought all the shares that the ETF holds directly - so e.g. if the US dollar falls and you have an ETF holding US shares only, it will be dragged down by the dollar.

The London market does not have as many ETFs available to trade as the US, due to some recent tax changes in the UK that may change over time. Some of the more exotic ones I own are only listed in the US.

"the iShares in London are Irish UCITS"

Would you tell me what UCITS is please?

Undertakings for Collective Investments in Transferable Securities.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Back