et call home

hopalong

going to oz next week,anyone advise on cheapest way of calling home,from a landline,and from a mobile.will use internet for e mail and texting,and use a 1890 number from ireland to oz,so while people in ireland can ring us cheaply,whats the best way for us to ring ireland?

Will you have use of a single pc while you're there. If so why not download skype?

no ,i wont have a single pc.i can try skype if the internet cafes have it,[some places you have no access to jack into the desktop].also for skype ,someone,s got to be at the other end of a pc.

Last edited:
Buy a call card out there. It's really cheap. My daughter can talk to me for over 30mins for about AUD$1.50.

It's by far the cheapest way to phone Ireland from Oz

Yes, you can use it from any public or private landline. You just have to dial a specific no & then a code. They will tell you each time how much credit you have left.
I used one myself last time I was out & they're great. $20 AUD goes a long way when phoning Ireland.

I would suggest only using your mobile for texting. It's a long route for roaming. If you're staying over there a long time you can buy an Australian SIM card (if your mobile is not blocked ) for making Aussie calls.

If you have an Australian mobile, or access to an Australian landline even better, your family/friends at home could/can use [broken link removed] to call you.

It costs 0.5c per minute to landlines and 9c per minute to mobiles in Australia (along with a 5c connection fee for each call).

So, a 30 minute call from Ireland to Australia would cost 20c (30*0.5 + 5 = 20) to a landline or €2.75 (30*9 + 5 = 275) to a mobile.

I frequently use it for both international (mostly US) and national (landline calls in Ireland 0c p/min tariff, so as long a call as you wish for 5c [worth setting up for the Irish calls alone but the international savings are superb!]) calls. Has seriously reduced phone bills since day one.

I've suggested this service numerous times before (I'm starting to feel like a sales rep), and still suggest it whenever I can. Thoroughly delighted with the service (and savings!) I've received so far.

May not/probably won't solve the problem given that you'll be in a foreign country and times when they can contact you not so predictable (always easier for you to phone home than them to phone you when travelling, but if it helps cut costs.... ), thought I'd mention it as they may still wish to avail of the service even if it isn't suitable for the Oz situation.

No connection to 13434 other than as a (very happy) customer, actually came across it through other posters on AAM.

Back