Estimate of VRT on extras?

M

MGMOLONY

I'm considering bringing in a high-spec, high-end, year-old car from the UK.

I can see the basic VRT cost using the VRT calculator, but am wondering what kind of additional VRT I might incur with extras like park-assist, sat-nav or sunroof?

I have reviewed earlier posts on this subject, but no-one appears to have dealt with cars where the basic VRT is over 10,000 Euro.

Any experience and / or opinions welcome!

Imported a BMW recently and the local office sent the chassis number to their head office to check with BMW as to the extras installed on the car. I then had to pay VRT on the value of getting the extras on a Irish vehicle. In my case there was an extras pack for a couple of hundred pounds sterling on the car. They did not have the pack in Ireland and the cost of the extras individualy here was 1000 euro. I paid 160 extra for the extras on a 7 month old car.

I believe they depreciate the extras over 4 years

Last edited:
Does this mean that the extras are valued at zero after 4 years or depreciated on a sliding % scale?

Does this mean that the extras are valued at zero after 4 years or depreciated on a sliding % scale?

I wouldn't think so. In the motor trade extras are depreciated as above but and OMSP for VRT is different.

MG

1. Financing
Make sure there is no financing. I was a whisker away from buying a car until i checed and found out it was still on financing. Seller said it wasnt. There was 20k owed on it>
Would have been a disaster.

2. Exchange Rate
Make sure to check all banks and xe and currency.ie , you'll save a few hundred euro.

3. Mechanic
Get a mechanic to check the car and dont take the garages word for it. Most garages wont object and RAC do it for a little over a hundred pounds

Last edited:
Thanks for all of that.

I see that today's (20 Aug) Irish Times has an article saying that the OMSP rates used by the Revenue no longer reflect the actual selling price being achieved in the Irish market today. The Revenue say that they will not revise their OMSP rates until such a proposal comes from representatives of the Irish motoring industry - as if they will be in a hurry to do that!

Back