Estimate of cost for wall?

dools

Guys,

I know this is a bit of wet finger in the air type question, but would appreciate any kind of ballpark.

We are looking to get a wall built at the front between us and our next door neighbour. We are going to split the cost. The wall will be about 20' long, 4 (standard grey) blocks high with a row of small redbrick along the top. Based in Dublin

I have no clue whether this will cost in the region of €500, €1000 or €1500+. Can anyone offer any indication?? I am guessing it will be about €800. It was our neighbour's idea, but am a bit concerned that he is retired and lives alone I think that he is expecting it to only cost him about €100.

Thanks

D

It will take 56No blocks approx. 6.1 M2 of wall at an average price of €34.92/m2 = €213.00. It will also take 2 and a half bricks per block 35 bricks @ €2.00 each €70.00

Total cost €283.00 Estimated!!!!

you'll probably aslo be needing some sort of a foundation for the wall. At a pure guess I'd say you'd be looking at in and around €500 for the lot.

Cheers guys - much appreciated. As I said, I had no clue. Yep, forgot to say that it will require foundations. At the minute, there is just a trench of soil running between the two driveways. There used to be a hedge between us which the previous owner dug up

Spoke to the builder last night and he is to come back to me with a price. Just wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks again

Dools

€80 per M2 of concrete maybe a bit of mesh. There is 4m2 = €320 + the walls from earlier. Plastered finish? 10m2 plaster @ €9= €90

Jolly,
I think you are being a bit lite on the rates there, A skim coat of plaster would cost about 6-8 per m2 but as this would need a nap render finish which will be nearer 25/m2. But i would factor in day rates for a trade rather than m2 rates , a blocklayer is unlikely to do such a small job on price and will probably charge a day rate ( say 300/day) Unless the builder is a multi task man and can doo all the work i would say the price for the foundation , wall, and plaster will be close to 1000

Jolly,
I think you are being a bit lite on the rates there, A skim coat of plaster would cost about 6-8 per m2 but as this would need a nap render finish which will be nearer 25/m2. But i would factor in day rates for a trade rather than m2 rates , a blocklayer is unlikely to do such a small job on price and will probably charge a day rate ( say 300/day) Unless the builder is a multi task man and can doo all the work i would say the price for the foundation , wall, and plaster will be close to 1000

I was assuming a skim coat of plaster would be all that was required for a garden wall!!! Needless to say that if you were going to be getting diferent trades in to carryout each aspect it is going to cost you a lot more as it is relastically 1 days work per trade! However i believe that the blocklayer would throw on a skim of plaster for you if you asked nicely! Any handyman would have it done for you for €500 not incl materials!

But you cant skim directly onto blockwork. You have to prep the surface.
And its not a 1 day job, you would have to let the joints dry out before scudding the wall. But of course it would be cheaper if you got one man to do all the work, trying to find a fella who can do all trades to a decent standard could be tricky

Ah there is no need to go scudding a garden wall 20ft x 4ft! You can if you like but any body can do that really! And it drys in two to three hours! I would manage to do all that work to a good standard and i have an office job!!! Its not the most taxing in the world! Have done it in the past and will do it again!

Now no more arguing!

Ideally the wall should have a scratch coat applied or the shadow of the blocks will allways be seen through the render with only a single coat....but it is only a garden wall when all said and done so the guy mightnt be overly fussed.

Back