Estate agents when selling property

siulas

Hello,

I'm planning to sell an apartment I own and I wonder what are advantages of using estate agent?
Well, I'm really asking why is everyone using estate agent in Ireland when selling property? Is there much involved? Could I do it myself?

Of course you can do it yourself. Rocket science it is not, just look at the number of TDs who are agents/run estate agencies, even some former ministers!!!

Of course you can do it yourself. Rocket science it is not, just look at the number of TDs who are agents/run estate agencies, even some former ministers!!!
I'm sorry if it is a stupid question, but what do you mean by that? What agenda do they have?

Not using an estate agent makes it look like you're just kicking tires and not serious about a sale.

If I was a busy person I wouldn't bother viewing and bidding without an EA involved.

You better off to use an estate agent, negotiate their fee at the beginning. They well worth it to avoid all the hassle and usually they can achieve a higher price that you could get yourself.

Not using an estate agent makes it look like you're just kicking tires and not serious about a sale.

If I was a busy person I wouldn't bother viewing and bidding without an EA involved.
Which is fine but you're not the one paying the ludicrously high fees, the vendor is!
You better off to use an estate agent, negotiate their fee at the beginning. They well worth it to avoid all the hassle and usually they can achieve a higher price that you could get yourself.
Ain't no negotiatin' man, it's a percentage of that there sales price, plus them expenses, plus that VAT stuff. There is no hassle in having an EA out of the picture when selling

Assuming we ain't all Geogia crackers in here, I was able to achieve higher prices than estate agents told me properties were worth in the past. In one case I paid a percentage of the price he reckoned he could achieve plus exps, a small saving, but a saving. In the second case I paid for advertising exps & VAT only.

Which is fine but you're not the one paying the ludicrously high fees, the vendor is!

Estate agent fees are lower in Ireland than most of Europe and North America.

Of course the buyer pays a share of the fee in economic terms. Look up the term "tax incidence".

Assuming we ain't all Geogia crackers in here, I was able to achieve higher prices than estate agents told me properties were worth in the past.

On average an EA will achieve a better price as they will attract more viewers and know how to run a bidding process.

Whether you think it is worth the fee is up to you. Having sold a house (that went 10% over asking btw), I was quite happy that 1.5% plus VAT was good value for handling viewings, bids, advice on how to photograph and advertise, etc.

Bear in mind myhome.ie is estate agent only.

I don’t understand why more people don’t use EAs when buying properties.